Associate Scientist, Stem Cell Biology
Join bluebird bio's enthusiastic and collaborative team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approach. The focus of this position is to provide support for the testing and development of exploratory assays for clinical samples as well as support process improvements in the hematopoietic stem cell (HSC) program. We are looking for a motivated Associate Scientist with excellent technical skills and a strong team spirit to drive and perform experimental studies within our Translational Research department.
- Assist Scientist to evaluate methods to improve gene delivery and gene editing into primary cells including in vitro experiments, transplant models and preclinical studies.
- Perform complex technical work related to stem cell biology, viral gene transfer, and molecular biology, including tissue culture, flow cytometry, HPLC, and qPCR.
- Participate in designing, writing and updating protocols or standard operating procedures.
- Participate in ongoing research projects as well as implementing novel strategies utilizing gene modified HSCs for correcting genetic diseases.
- Performance of general laboratory tasks, including maintenance of equipment.
- Maintain accurate and reliable record keeping including database management, notebooks, and all other pertinent documentation.
- Compile, analyze and present data to functional teams.
- BS in cell biology, molecular biology or similar discipline with at least 3 years related experience in a laboratory environment.
- Mammalian cell culture experience is required, primary cell experience desired.
- Well versed in a variety of cell based methods with a strong understanding of tissue culture, cell biology, molecular biology, and general laboratory techniques.
- Experience with flow cytometry is preferred.
- Experience with HPLC is a plus.
- Willingness to work with lentiviral vector and human biological samples.
- Willingness to work with mouse bone marrow and tissue (live mouse handling not required).
- Ability to take ownership of projects and results.
- Independently motivated, detail oriented and good problem-solving ability.
- Excellent organizational skills, sufficient to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment where results are achieved through influence, cooperation, and the incorporation of multiple points of view
- Excellent communications skills and ability to influence across multiple functions
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself