Director, US Field Medical Capabilities
Ready to join a team committed to moving gene therapies into the clinical and commercial settings for patients and families devastated by rare neurological genetic diseases? AveXis is advancing cutting-edge science to treat rare and life-threatening genetic diseases starting with our clinical-stage, proprietary gene therapy candidate, AVXS-101. We are in the midst of an incredible journey and are looking for passionate individuals to join us on this important mission.
AveXis, Inc., a Novartis Company , is a clinical-stage gene therapy company, dedicated to developing and commercializing novel treatments for patients suffering from rare and life-threatening neurological genetic diseases. Our initial product candidate, AVXS-101, is our proprietary gene therapy product candidate currently in development for the treatment of spinal muscular atrophy, or SMA, Type 1, the leading genetic cause of infant mortality, and for the treatment of SMA Type 2. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, or FDA, has granted AVXS-101 Orphan Drug Designation for the treatment of all types of SMA and Breakthrough Therapy Designation, as well as Fast Track Designation for the treatment of SMA Type 1. In addition to developing AVXS-101 to treat SMA Type 1 and Type 2, we also plan to develop other novel treatments for rare neurological diseases, including Rett syndrome (RTT) and a genetic form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) caused by mutations in the superoxide dismutase 1 (SOD1) gene.
As a member of the Field Medical Leadership team, the US Field Medical Capabilities Director will be responsible for the strategy, creation, and execution of training plans and customer facing medical resources for the US Field Medical team in alignment with AveXis' strategic imperatives.
This position will help support US Field Medical excellence initiatives (e.g., field standards, enhancement of systems/processes, training curriculum, benchmarking) that will ensure accurate understanding of the company and differentiation of AveXis products through scientific and clinical value.
- Lead the creation of strategic training plans for investigational compounds entering the clinic.
- Proactively evaluate and implement needed enhancements to current training plans.
- Identify education needs for the Field Medical Team (scientific and job skills) and implement solutions.
- Develop strategy for career development for the RMD function.
- Review and update (as needed) US Field Medical new hire onboarding plans and own the onboarding process.
- Oversee/coordinate training on non-therapeutic skills-based resources, including but not limited to, stakeholder engagement, pre-call planning, etc.
- Collaborate with Clinical Development and Global Medical Affairs to provide training and materials to Field Medical team on AveXis clinical trials.
- Spearhead content development for the US Field Medical team's reference and for use in the field, working cross-functionally with Medical Communications and Subject Matter Experts on:
- Updated competitor data
- New data releases and presentations on AveXis compounds and resources
- In collaboration with Head of Field Excellence:
- Define both systems and process needs for educational/training materials, (e.g. CRM, SharePoint, content management library, LMS)
- Identify, establish, and implement RMD ongoing standards (certification)
- Plan and manage resources for content development, including vendors and budget(s).
- Customize content to meet the needs of various customer segments (e.g., Health care providers, investigators, managed care customers).
- Support/review outgoing communications containing scientific content for accuracy and strategic alignment.
- Ensure any changes or updates to the Scientific Communication Platform are reflected in all Field Medical content.
- As a member of the Field Medical Leadership team:
- Participate and actively contribute to decisions regarding RMD resourcing including field force sizing and structure and optimal timelines for deployment
- Support annual budgeting process through evaluation of training, content, and resource needs (budget and staffing)
- Advanced degree in health or life science related discipline (e.g., PhD, PharmD, MD).
- Significant experience (8-10 years) and in-depth knowledge in medical affairs, preferably in field medical.
- Possesses Scientific/Medical knowledge and technical skills involved in executing core field medical activities.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, project management skills, strong personal integrity, teamwork abilities, and customer focus are necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects.
- Ability to work effectively cross-functionally with internal stakeholder leaders.
- Must be able to organize, prioritize, and work effectively in a constantly changing environment.
- Advanced competency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Comfort with navigating and pulling data extracts from systems and platforms.
- Self-motivated, action oriented, and results focused.
- Clear understanding of compliance requirements and governing bodies for field medical programs.
- Capable of working independently on multiple projects with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet strict deadlines with good judgement.
- Pleasant and confident demeanor when dealing with colleagues and clients.
- Build effective relationships to influence without authority.
- Field or Bannockburn-based role with ability to travel (US and International) up to 50%.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
AveXis is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.