Associate Scientist / Scientist, Downstream Scale-Up
At Novavax, a clinical-stage vaccine company, we are creating tomorrow's vaccines today! We seek to attract, develop, and retain talented people who share our passion for science, medicine, and human health. We foster an environment of teamwork and collaboration, built on a culture that values and appreciates its employees. We are a fast-paced company that provides employees with opportunities to achieve personal and professional goals while also maintaining a balance between work and personal life.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual, experienced in downstream operations to play a leadership role in process development for our nanoparticle RSV and NanoFlu vaccines, and other potential vaccine candidates. This position is responsible for hands-on execution of downstream chromatography and filtration processes in support of process scale-up and transfer to manufacturing, process development, and process characterization activities. This position will be located at our Rockville, MD facility.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Reproduce the harvest/recovery processes and downstream purification in support of process development/characterization activities.
- Scale chromatography and filtration unit operations from small scale to large scale manufacturing.
- Generate material in the pilot lab and coordinate transfer of material to partner groups.
- Identify challenges in the current manufacturing processes and collaborate with MS&T and manufacturing to create more robust processes.
- Participate in the technology transfer of processes to the manufacturing group and external partners. This may include training staff, providing recommendations for equipment, directing experiments to troubleshoot or support scale-up, and cGMP operations.
- Support deviation investigations and make product impact assessments.
- Generate, manage, evaluate, and maintain critical data and records of all operations in support of regulatory requirements.
- Present scientific findings at internal and cross-functional meetings.
- Author protocols, technical reports, data analysis summaries, and SOP’s as needed.
- Routine hands-on participation in the laboratory is expected.
- BS in a life sciences field, with more than 7 years of relevant downstream process development and/or manufacturing experience for the associate scientist position. MS with 5 years of experience or BS with more than 10 years of experience for Scientist.
- Experience required in column chromatography, column packing, tangential flow and normal flow filtration unit operations. Proficient in operation of AKTA chromatography skids and program writing in Unicorn software.
- Multi-year industrial purification experience with vaccines/biologics is preferred.
- Experience in scaling downstream processes from small-scale large-scale manufacturing facilities.
- Capable of performing multiple functions in a fast-paced environment. Strong technical writing, communication, and organizational skills are required.
- Ability to work on high-level projects in a team atmosphere and independently.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to mentor and train others.
- Excellent record keeping abilities to adequately record, analyze and document data generated in support of regulatory requirements.
Novavax, Inc. is a clinical-stage biotechnology company committed to delivering novel products to prevent a broad range of infectious diseases. Using innovative proprietary recombinant nanoparticle vaccine technology, we produce vaccine candidates to efficiently and effectively respond to both known and emerging disease threats. Our vaccine candidates are genetically engineered three-dimensional nanostructures that incorporate recombinant proteins critical to disease pathogenesis.
Our product pipeline targets a variety of infectious diseases, with clinical vaccine candidates for respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) and Ebola virus (EBOV), and preclinical programs for Zika virus (ZIKV), seasonal influenza and a combination respiratory vaccine candidate, as well as other infectious disease vaccine candidates.
Novavax, Inc. is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland with additional facilities in Rockville, Maryland and Uppsala, Sweden. Novavax is traded on the Nasdaq Stock Market under the symbol NVAX and is dedicated to developing novel vaccines to address infectious disease.
Novavax, Inc. offers a base salary, annual bonus, stock options, professional career development/growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, Rx, STD, LTD, Life, Optional Life, 401(k) plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Novavax, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.