Director, Biomarker Sciences
At Alector, our mission is to harness the power of the immune system to cure neurodegeneration and cancer. Our team integrates experts in key biotechnology disciplines and is solely focused on developing cures for some of the most challenging diseases facing our society. We are supported on this mission by leading investors including OrbiMed, Polaris Partners, Google Ventures, Deerfield Management, Foresite Capital, Federated Kaufmann Fund, and many others. Among our strategic backers and partners, we are aligned with some of the most innovative pharma companies such as AbbVie, Merck, and Amgen.
Would you like to take part in creating new therapies that really make a difference in patients' lives? Do you desire both autonomy and collaboration in tackling scientific challenges that interest you? Is it important to you to be part of a talented team where everyone has a voice, and where innovation flourishes? Do you get excited about the latest science and how to translate it into clinical strategy?
Use your hard-earned biomarker development and scientific skills to help us achieve our mission of saving lives by curing neurodegenerative diseases.
As Director, Biomarker Sciences for Alector, you are accountable for all biomarker deliverables. You’ll closely collaborate with Research biologists, assay development scientists, clinical scientists, biostatisticians, regulatory and operations managers and the project team leaders. With this team, you'll create biomarker strategies for our neuroscience and oncology programs, drive the discovery of new biomarkers, development of sensitive assays, and tactically position biomarkers in our clinical development programs to help bring our treatments to patients in dire need. You will contribute across a variety of programs, in Research, in Development, and in the clinic, and have broad influence in work central to Alector’s strategic goals. You will apply your existing technical skills, learn new skills, and play a key role in bringing ground-breaking therapies to our patients. As an early hire, you’ll be influential in championing and developing Alector’s culture.
During the first year, your goals will include:
- Develop an overarching biomarker strategy for our neuroscience portfolio, to implement in our first-in-human study with prospects for neuroscience and oncology programs
- Provide a biomarker plan (timelines, risks, analysis and validation plans) to identify and prioritize platforms and specific biomarkers and oncology programs
- Collaborate with research teams on the discovery of novel biomarkers
- Develop an external network of key opinion leaders to help you drive biomarker strategy at Alector
- Collaborate with the regulatory function to develop accelerated approval strategies based on biomarker endpoints
- Drive the strategic importance of biomarkers in our clinical programs
At Alector, we believe that high-performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We need people who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives and bring creative ideas to the table. We are committed to building an open, diverse, and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Alector is a phenomenal place to learn and experiment. If you excel in a dynamic environment where everyone is committed to finding cures, where you’ll drive growth, this is the role for you. There is no limit to how far you can go with us.
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You take pride in your individual contributions, your decision-making acumen, and your ability to work well with, cross-functionally influence, and lead others
- You thrive in an environment where we work independently and on teams, and you get to use your experience to produce creative solutions to interesting problems
- You have 10 or more years of full-time work experience in drug development and translational research including discovery, development and utilization of biomarkers and their associated technologies in an academic and/or industry setting (potential opportunity to elevate role)
- You have strengths in scientific rigor, a focus on biomarker utility, data analysis and management
- You have a strong understanding of analytical method development, product development, clinical pharmacology, and sample processing; diagnostic product development is preferred.
- You hold a PhD degree in a relevant scientific field - e.g. immunology, neuroscience, molecular biology, cancer biology, or bioinformatics with deep experience and exposure to discovery and development of biomarkers, either in a research or clinical setting
While we’ve focused on what to look forward to during the first year and beyond, Day One is exciting, too: committed and driven colleagues, a bold and important company goal, state-of-the-art brand-new brightly-lit offices in the heart of the biotech area, competitive compensation and benefits. But these matter only if you’re excited to build and own something great, and tackle these challenges with us. Come join us.