At Alector, our mission is to harness the power of the immune system to cure neurodegeneration and cancer. Our team integrates experts in key biotechnology disciplines and is solely focused on developing cures for some of the most challenging diseases facing our society. We are supported on this mission by leading investors including OrbiMed, Polaris Partners, Google Ventures, Deerfield Management, Foresite Capital, Federated Kaufmann Fund, and many others. Among our strategic backers and partners, we are aligned with some of the most innovative pharma companies such as AbbVie, Merck, and Amgen.
Would you like to create something new that really makes a difference? Do you desire autonomy in taking on scientific challenges that interest you? Would you like to be part of a talented team where everyone has a voice?
Use your cutting-edge analytical skills and biological insights to help us achieve our mission of saving lives by curing neurodegenerative diseases and cancer.
As a Scientist for the bioinformatics team, you will play an important role in every aspect of Alector scientific mission, from target discovery to pre-clinical and clinical phases. You will work closely with - and under the mentorship of - our scientists to discover and develop novel drugs targeting neurodegenerative disorders and cancer. As part of a talented and multi-disciplinary bioinformatics team you have a transversal role and interact closely with scientists from different fields. You will carry out valuable analyses which will further Alector’s collective scientific understanding. You will apply your existing technical skills, and learn new skills. As an early hire, you’ll be influential in championing and developing Alector’s culture.
During the first year, your goals will include:
- Closely collaborate with research and clinical scientists to develop informatics analysis approaches and independently execute bioinformatics analyses that support discovery and pre-clinical studies such as new target identification and biomarker development
- Identify relevant internal and external data and knowledge resources and execute integrated data mining analyses
- Keep track of the current analytical methodology and introduce them when appropriate
- Communicate analytical analysis verbally and in writing to teammates
At Alector, we believe that high-performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives and bring creative ideas to the table. We are committed to building an open, diverse, and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Alector is a phenomenal place to learn and experiment. If you excel in a dynamic environment where everyone is committed to finding a cure, where you’ll drive growth, this is the role for you. There is no limit to how far you can go with us.
PWe'd love to hear from you if:
- You take pride in being persistent, self-motivated, and efficient
- You thrive in an environment where we work independently and on teams
- You demonstrate a track record of learning new things and troubleshooting independently
- You are fluent in scientific scripting languages such as R, Perl/Python, and very adept at working in both linux and windows environment
- You have hands-on experience in genomics and genetic database, in data analyses using existing and custom pipelines
- You have an in-depth knowledge of current technologies for genetic, transcriptomic and proteomic data generation and analysis, including single-cell RNAseq, in silico deconvolution or eQTL analysis.
- You have experience in carrying statistical analysis
- You are familiar with human genetics concepts and analytics
- You have a solid background in immunology, oncology or neurodegenerative disorders
- Your academic background includes a PhD in bioinformatics, immunology, neuroscience, biology or a related scientific field
- You have a point of view but are low ego
- You have excellent communication skills
While we’ve focused on what to look forward to during the first year and beyond, Day One is great, too: committed and driven colleagues, a bold and important company goal, state-of-the-art brand-new brightly-lit offices in the heart of the biotech area, competitive compensation and benefits. But these matter only if you’re excited to build and own something great, and take on these challenges with us. Join us.