Senior Research Associate - Immuno-Oncology
At Alector, our mission is to harness the power of the immune system to cure neurodegeneration and cancer. Our team integrates experts in key biotechnology disciplines and is solely focused on developing cures for some of the most challenging diseases facing our society. We are supported on this mission by leading investors including OrbiMed, Polaris Partners, Google Ventures, Deerfield Management, Foresite Capital, Federated Kaufmann Fund, and many others. Among our strategic backers and partners, we are aligned with some of the most innovative pharma companies such as AbbVie, Merck, and Amgen.
Would you like to participate in the discovery of new therapies that will make a difference in patients' lives? Do you value autonomy in a fast-growing, collaborative environment to advance scientific knowledge? Would you like to be part of a team where everyone has a voice?
Use your research and laboratory experience to help us achieve our mission of saving lives by curing cancer.
As a Senior Research Associate for the immuno-oncology team, you will work closely with - and under the mentorship of - scientists in both Research and Development to advance our programs. You will be involved across a variety of projects in work central to Alector’s strategic mission. While utilizing your existing technical skills, you will also expand your expertise to new technologies and play a key role in pre-clinical development of our programs. As an early hire, you will help grow the company, guide its direction, and, above all, bolster Alector’s culture of thinking independently and working on teams.
During the first year, your goals will include:
- Performing cell line-based and primary immune cell-based functional assays for in vitro target validation and antibody characterization
- Collaborating with scientists to develop syngeneic tumor models for in vivo efficacy studies of lead antibodies
- Processing and phenotyping human and/or mouse tumor samples for marker expression and immune cell infiltration
- Recording experiments and results, including analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data to the rest of the company
At Alector, we believe that high-performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives and bring creative ideas to the table. We are committed to building an open, diverse, and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Alector is a phenomenal place to learn and experiment. If you excel in a dynamic environment where everyone is committed to finding a cure, where you’ll drive growth, this is the role for you. There is no limit to how far you can go with us.
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You take pride in being persistent, self-motivated, and efficient
- You thrive in an environment where we work independently and on teams
- You have five or more years of full-time work experience in the lab (in industry or at an academic institution)
- You are proficient with multi-color flow cytometry studies
- You have experience in isolating immune cell populations and performing immune assays (including, but not limited to proliferation assays, cytokine release assays - ELISA, Luminex, or MSD)
- You demonstrate a track record of learning new skills and troubleshooting independently
- Your academic background includes a Bachelor’s degree in immunology, cell biology, or a related scientific field, or equivalent years in experience (required)
- You have a point of view but are low ego
While we focused on what to look forward to during the first year and beyond, Day One is great, too. We offer an opportunity to work with dedicated and driven colleagues, an ambitious and fulfilling company goal, state-of-the-art brand-new offices and lab space in the heart of the biotech sector, competitive compensation and benefits. But these matter only if you are willing to build and own something of value and tackle these challenges with us.
Come join us.