Senior Data Scientist
PreCyte Inc. is an exciting, dynamic early-stage biotech startup in Seattle, WA that develops highly innovative diagnostic tests for neurodegenerative diseases and cancer. We are working with scientists from the Seattle Children’s Research Institute to develop a novel blood-based diagnostic platform to identify disease signatures in patient’s blood. The platform uses a biosensor approach based on exposing standardized cultured cells to patient’s blood and measuring the transcriptional response of the cells to identify biomarkers of disease. PreCyte offers benefits and a healthy work-life balance in the South Lake Union area.
We are seeking a talented bioinformatician or biostatistician to work with a small and highly collaborative team to develop and apply the company's targeted blood-based diagnostic technology for early detection of Alzheimer's disease and lung cancer. You will be providing bioinformatics and statistical guidance and support to development of our platform. Working closely with our experimental scientists, your primary role will be to work with biologists to optimize and automate the cell-based assay, perform expression analysis, and develop and automate disease classifiers. This is an exciting opportunity to be involved in the early-stage development of a unique and potentially transformative tool to the biomarker industry. The position demands an experienced and strongly motivated individual to strive for success by taking ownership of projects, acquiring and applying the necessary biological knowledge, and being innovative.
- With the lead systems biologist, be responsible for the success of PreCyte iCAP development studies.
- Develop and apply data science approaches being mindful of special considerations required for biological applications
- Use and contribute to computational pipelines and toolsets developed by the computational biology team and employ coding best practices
- Analyze various gene expression data (including RNA-seq, Nanostring™ and Fluidigm™ data) to identify differentially expressed genes, exons, and other transcripts; develop classifiers for distinguish various disease types.
- Develop and implement analytical protocols for assessing the robustness of the assay platform
- Responsible for large-scale data storage, backup, and security
- Effectively communicate analysis results to development and research teams
- Interface with researchers to identify biomarkers and uncover disease mechanisms and gain other biological insights
- Mentor to junior-level bioinformaticians.
- PhD with 2+ years working experience in bioinformatics/statistics (or similar quantitative fields).
- 4+ years of experience with analysis of large biological datasets using R, Python, Perl or equivalent is required.
- Experience incorporating large biological data types is strongly preferred.
- Postdoctoral or industrial experience supporting basic or translational research is a plus.
- Successful track record participating in the development of clinical diagnostics is a plus.
- The successful candidate will have a strong background in statistical analysis, machine learning, experimental design, and quantitative analysis of biological systems, as well as a demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with an interdisciplinary team.
Other Job Details: PreCyte is an equal opportunity employer to all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. PreCyte also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements. PreCyte offers benefits and a healthy work-life balance in the South Lake Union area.