Senior Manager of Information Systems – Research and Development Informatics
Amgen is seeking a Senior Manager of Information Systems (IS) to join the multi-site Research & Development Informatics organization at the Cambridge, Massachusetts site. The Senior Manager will report to the Director, Research Informatics supporting Therapeutic Discovery teams in Medicinal Chemistry, Biologics Discovery, Hybrid Modality Engineering, Attribute Sciences and Discovery Technologies. The primary focus of the Senior Manager of Information Systems will be on developing and implementing the Amgen IS Strategy across the domains of Medicinal Chemistry.
The Research Informatics team supports Discovery Research and Translational Research organizations globally with innovative IS and Data Science solutions to accelerate and grow Amgen’s pipeline of biopharmaceuticals. Our success in informatics is driven by our commitment to our patients, to our business clients, and to leveraging superlative technologies that deliver critical business value.
Further, we at Amgen are building upon our solid oncology foundation and long-term commitment to patients by developing a whole new class of novel molecules – and we need top talent to ensure these molecules become medicines and realize their potential for helping patients.
Key Activities for the Senior Manager of IS includes:
- Acts as a Product Lead to the Therapeutic Discovery (TD) clients and be responsible to partner and guide the key TD scientific stakeholders in order to translate scientific needs into the informatics strategies and solutions; execution to be through an agile dev/ops delivery model
- Leads and develops a high-performance team; experience not limited to operational management but include demonstrated ability to act as leader to supervise, manage and motivate the team
- Elicits IS requirements in working with various scientific teams, developing compelling business cases for IS investments, and leading IS implementation projects to deliver value for the R&D organization globally
- Provides critical thinking and strategic judgment to resolve significant technical and analytic challenges in support of research initiatives across domains of medicinal chemistry, biologics engineering, screening technologies and cutting-edge discovery technologies
- Leads productive multi-disciplinary product teams that include Project Managers, other Business Analysts, Software Architects, Software Engineers, Vendors, Data Scientists and Computational Chemists and Biologists
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Informatics and/or Information Systems experience
Master’s degree and 6 years of Informatics and/or Information Systems experience
Bachelor’s degree and 8 years of Informatics and/or Information Systems experience
Associate’s degree and 10 years of Informatics and/or Information Systems experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Informatics and/or Information Systems experience
2 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resources
- Deep understanding of scientific and business processes and issues in the early discovery research and discovery technologies
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate software requirements within and across business unit as well as the ability to translate requirements into implementable informatics and IS solutions
- Strong expertise in a variety of commercial and custom software environments used in early drug discovery activities and employ that expertise to advise and support members of the scientific staff
- Doctorate degree or Master’s degree in Chemical, Biological or Computer Sciences
- 5+ years of experience in agile software development, business analysis, and project management in a Biotech/Pharma Research setting
- 5+ years of leading and managing highly technical staff, understand how to effectively collaborate in a matrixed organization, and demonstrated superb interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated track record of delivering innovative IS solutions in a Biotech/Pharma Research setting with solutions that employ continuous integration, dev/ops methodology, microservices, content analytics, scientific process engineering, semantic technologies or deep learning
- Experience with analysis and manipulation of data types including cheminformatics, proteomics, genomics, analytical chemistry, high content image assay, high throughput screening technologies, crystallography and high-resolution electron microscopy
- Strong written and oral communication skills and sufficient scientific domain expertise to be able to communicate effectively with scientific partners, IS Executive leadership, and develop change management strategies
- High learning agility, innovation, and problem-solving skills
- Experience in leading teams developing Cloud based solutions
We understand that to successfully sustain and grow as a global enterprise and deliver for patients — we must ensure a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission – to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment and inclusion in all that we do.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people’s lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world’s leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.