Manager, Statistical Programming
Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global biopharmaceutical company whose mission is to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases.
One shared journey is moving us forward at Bristol-Myers Squibb. Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious disease. Empowered to apply our individual talents and ideas so that we can learn and grow together. Driven to make a difference, from innovative research to hands-on community support. Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
This position provides expertise to drive excellence and consistency in statistical programming through their management of a group of Statistical Programmers. Primarily, this position is responsible for talent management (selection, performance management, development and retention of statistical programmers) and providing strategic insight into innovative processes, practices and related technologies that support analysis and reporting activities. This person will provide technical expertise, as required, to development teams and serve as a point of escalation for issues unable to be resolved at the team level. This role has significant interfaces with Planning & Execution Leads and the Planning and Business Operations group. This role reports to the Statistical Programming Head and has direct supervisory responsibilities for a group of Statistical Programmers.
* Drives functional excellence within the statistical programming discipline by establishing and communicating standards for performance, actively contributing to the community of practice and effective talent management
* Holds staff accountable for quality and timeliness of programming activities supporting GBS (Global Biometric Sciences) work on clinical development teams across multiple development projects
* Models partnership with internal GBS and external stakeholders and provides leadership to Statistical Programmers for stakeholder management and transparent communication to ensure effective partnerships within development teams
* As a leader within GBS, drives the implementation of GBS Strategic Plan
* Effectively recruits, manages, develops, evaluates, rewards, and retains direct reports, resulting in an increasing level of capabilities for the GBS organization
* Conducts objective setting, mid-year reviews and end of year discussions in compliance with BMS policies; aligns objectives, feedback and evaluation of performance with employee's matrix manager
* Conducts regular 1-on-1s with each direct report, focused on both project updates and developmental discussions
* Ensures direct reports compliance with all training requirements and relevant regulatory requirements and corporate and departmental procedures and standards
* Establishes a development plan with each direct report and meets as frequently as required to deliver timely feedback and coaching
* Recommends to and gains alignment of GBS LT with respect to issues of promotion, performance concerns, and retention risks
* Differentially recognizes, develops and rewards talent that is critical to BMS and GBS future growth through leadership opportunities and areas of visibility within and external to GBS
* Develops effective staffing solutions and manages resources to deliver development team objectives in accordance with R&D priorities, timelines and strategies
* Provides expertise to development teams with regard to driving standardization and formulating solutions to complex issues
* Serves as a point of escalation for technical, operational and/or staffing issues which are unable to be resolved at the team level
* Leads or supports continuous improvement initiatives within GBS and serves as GBS representative to cross-functional R&D initiatives
* Identifies opportunities for increased efficiency and consistency within GBS and across R&D. Contributes to globalization, improvement and standardization of processes, standards and tools.
* Effectively communicates the GBS Mission and Vision in a fashion that generates pride, excitement and commitment within GBS
* Enables a culture of inclusiveness, respect for diversity, compliance with process and allows for the questioning and challenging of others in a respectful and constructive manner
Statistical Programming Managers drive consistency of practice and performance for statistical programming across GBS. By recruiting and developing high calibre talent, contributing to the development and implementation of effective processes, tools and standards and ensuring compliance with relevant regulatory, corporate and departmental requirements, this position enhances the capabilities of the GBS organization and enables the success of development teams.
Education / Experience:
* Graduate degree in statistics, biostatistics, mathematics, computer science or equivalent experience preferred
* Minimum of 10 years clinical/statistical programming experience within pharmaceutical clinical development
* Minimum 5 years experience in managing technical professionals in a regulated environment
* Significant expertise in programming and developing computing strategies for statistical analysis and reporting
* Significant knowledge of the drug development process, clinical trial methodology, statistics and relevant regulatory requirements for drug approval
* Demonstrated ability to operate and lead in a matrix organization, building successful working relationships and effective stakeholder management in an environment with multiple lines of authority and competing needs
* Ability to be flexible and adapt quickly to the changing needs of the organization
* Ability to organize multiple work assignments and establish priorities
* Excellent verbal and written communications skills