Senior Bioinformatics Scientist, Microbiome
Assembly Biosciences (NASDAQ symbol ASMB) is a clinical-stage biotechnology company advancing two innovative platform programs: a Hepatitis B-Cure program consisting of a new class of oral therapeutic candidates for the treatment of hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection and a novel class of oral synthetic live biotherapeutic candidates, which are designed to treat disorders associated with the Microbiome. We pride ourselves on creating a culture and work environment that is scientifically driven, ambitious, and collaborative. We encourage diversity of thought that leads to great innovation and are looking to add to our dynamic team great people who are driven to transform the lives of patients.
We believe our Microbiome platform represents the best in class approach to developing biopharmaceutical agents from live biotherapeutic products. ABI-M201, our lead program in ulcerative colitis, is currently in IND enabling studies and is expected to enter the clinic in 2019. This program is part of a broader partnership we established with Allergan in 2017 for GI programs with a potential total development and commercial milestones of up to $2.8 billion. Our internal pipeline will represent first in class or best in class microbiome approaches in areas such as immuno-oncology, liver diseases, and other areas of high medical need.
Assembly is headquartered in Carmel, Indiana, while the R&D headquarters is in South San Francisco. The Company also has a microbiome manufacturing facility in Groton, CT. Assembly has a strong balance sheet having raised approximately $166 million in July 2018, thus positioned well to build the next phase of Assembly toward global development and commercialization of our innovative medicines in HBV-cure and the Microbiome.
The Senior Bioinformatics Scientist will have industry experience and deep expertise in computational analyses of the microbiome. Working in conjunction with the R&D team, you will bring expertise in the analysis of 16S, multi-omics data sets and other biological data, to build a world-class platform from which we will discover, validate and develop microbiome products.
Using your keen knowledge of the microbiome, particularly well-validated and emerging computational analytical tools and strategies to analyze microbiome data in the context of therapeutic programs, you will provide intellectual and technical excellence to guide ideation of new discovery strategies and lead their implementation in collaboration with microbiology and cell biology teams. This strategic, yet hands on, role will provide bioinformatics leadership and direction for the company’s pipeline of programs for diseases in the microbiome space. This is a unique opportunity to have an impact on the success of a well-positioned, well-financed biotechnology company.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and perform novel, rigorous bioinformatics analyses of internal and external datasets
- Develop research grade algorithms
- Partner with biologists, microbiologists, immunologists, computational and experimental scientists to design and interpret experiments
- Develop novel bioinformatic strategies to enable microbial therapeutic discovery and validation
- Mentor, train and develop team members
- Proactively offer creative solutions and new computational strategies to solve problems in therapeutic R&D
- Present results, interpretations and project proposals at internal research team meetings and for non-technical stakeholders
- Contribute to intellectual property submissions and ensure appropriate records in support of concepts and reduction to practice
- PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, bio-statistics, or similar field
- 3+ years industry experience in analysis of next generation sequencing data sets
- Well versed with current bioinformatics tools and databases for interpretation of microbiome sequencing data. Experience with human microbiome data sets is a plus
- Understanding of phylogenetic approaches for refining hierarchy of order, family, genus, species, strain
- Proficient in python, R, shell scripting and version control
- Demonstrated experience in machine learning, algorithm development and testing
- High quality publication track record
- Thorough knowledge of microbiome literature particularly in the context of therapeutic programs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to clearly communicate bioinformatics strategies and data outputs to those not in the field such as with Legal, Regulatory and Manufacturing colleagues
- Must be able to collaborate effectively with Microbiology and Cell Biology teams to support rigorous experimental design and propose innovative downstream bioinformatic analyses
- Strong organizational and record keeping skills
- High attention to detail and problem-solving
- Ability to independently design, perform, troubleshoot and interpret experiments
- An excellent work ethic and willingness to work collaboratively in a fast-paced work environment are essential
- Ability to prioritize and deliver results with a strong emphasis on quality, documentation, technical rigor, focus on detail and timely delivery
- Highly motivated and hands-on to deliver on project goals
- There may be some limited travel associated with this position
Assembly Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.