Software Quality Engineer
Bionano Genomics is looking for a talented software quality engineer to support our visualization, instrument control and bioinformatic software. Our goal is to produce compelling, robust commercial products that enable our customers to dramatically expand their understanding of the genome. The position is based in our San Diego headquarters.
A successful candidate will have a strong investigative skill set to identify issues, isolate root cause and communicate effectively across the organization to help the development team effectively resolve problems. He or she should feel comfortable operating on multiple platforms and have familiarity with genomic applications. Applicants should have experience with scientific applications, the application of visualization tools, an understanding of databases, familiarity of instrument control software, and the application of software quality best practices, including using bug tracking applications. We are looking for a well-rounded generalist that is motivated by the application of science to resolve complex and real-world problems through software.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Produce efficient test procedures, document results clearly, and provide effective communication throughout the software development life cycle.
- Ability to validate genomic analysis results using a strong understanding of the genomics field and the various tools available to scientists.
- Document and execute company software quality plans and reports.
- Write and execute manual test cases within the life cycle process.
- Interact with all departments (R&D, Quality, Manufacturing, Customer Solutions, etc.) to ensure the products are accurate and effective.
- Learn and continue to broaden skill set in order to deliver exciting, effective, and innovative solutions for our customers.
- Understand and improve ad hoc and exploratory processes by identifying inefficiencies.
- Provide assistance with escalated field issues.
Skills & Education
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Biomedical Engineering, Informatics or related discipline
- Tools: Visual Studio, SVN, Defect tracking (preferably JIRA), SQL, shell or batch scripting
- Operating Systems: Windows, Linux, Mac OS
- Experience with Windows-based GUI applications
- Experience with Linux command line argument software
- Experience building up software testing infrastructure and regression test suites
- Knowledge of genomic applications
- Experience with complex scientific analysis
- Commercial software application experience
- Very strong analytical, communications, and interpersonal skills
- Superb attention to minute details
- Full project life cycle experience (i.e. cradle to grave)
- Source/Version Control experience managing repositories
- Genomic or scientific experience
- Xray for JIRA
- Agile/Scrum Methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc.)
- Languages: C#, C++, Python, Perl
- Database technologies (SQLite and PostgreSQL)
- Working knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Test automation with Protractor
- Experience performing SQA for products in a regulated market
- Ability to self-manage time and tasks as well as coordinate tasks within a team
- Enthusiasm, self-motivated and goal-orientated
Bionano Genomics does not accept resumes submitted by agencies. The Human Resources team is the focal point for all recruitment and hiring at the company. Agencies are asked not to contact or forward resumes to our Executive team, Management team, or any current Bionano employee for consideration. Resumes are only accepted from agencies if a signed agreement is in place and therefore Bionano Genomics is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Bionano Genomics is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of any kind. Bionano is committed to the principles of equal opportunity employment for all employees and to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Bionano are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Bionano will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics and encourages applicants of all ages. Bionano participates in E-Verify.