Vice President, Business Development
Ambrx®, Inc. is an established biopharmaceutical company with a mission to deliver breakthrough protein therapeutics using an expanded genetic code. Unlike conventional conjugation techniques that create a mixture of suboptimal molecules, Ambrx technology combines site specific conjugation with proprietary linkers, payloads, and pharmacokinetic extenders to create a single molecular species that is optimized for safety, efficacy, and biophysical properties. We call this process Protein Medicinal Chemistry™.
Ambrx is seeking a successful business development strategist who thrives in a fast-paced environment to continue the development of our expanding biopharmaceutical product portfolio. The Vice President, Business Development will work closely with the CEO and other key leaders across the business to quickly gain an understanding of our corporate goals and establish a strategic financial vision with a plan to execute. This role requires outstanding leadership and negotiating skills with an ability to be a collaborative and influential team player in order to yield strong business results from a comprehensive business development strategy. The position will identify out-licensing, in-licensing, and partnering opportunities to align with Ambrx’s global strategic directions and will execute on current and long-range business strategies to grow the value of the organization.
- Provide strategic and tactical advice to support Ambrx's global corporate development transactions, including collaborations, licenses, acquisitions, and ongoing alliances
- Identify new business development opportunities in out-licensing, in-licensing, partnership, and M&A’s.
- Lead due diligence efforts for potential transactions and negotiate transaction documents, including Term Sheets, M&A bid letters, CDAs, etc.
- Prepare and present business cases based on key findings and make recommendations related to key opportunities and risks to Ambrx management
- Lead the negotiation and drafting of collaboration agreements and intellectual property licenses in close partnership with the intellectual property staff and outside counsel
- Develop and grow a productive network of external contacts and maintain strong working relationships with industry counterparts
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with Ambrx team members in research, development, finance, and legal departments
- MBA or PhD in a science-based field, such as Biology or Chemistry, or equivalent experience required
- 8+ years of successful international strategic business development leadership experience within the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry
- Ability to identify new out-licensing, in-licensing, partnering, and M&A opportunities
- Must be a collaborative and influential team player who is highly motivated
- Strong leadership and management skills with the ability to interact effectively with senior management, outside experts, consultants, and potential partners
- Strong business acumen and analytical competence to make quality judgments in order to assess the feasibility of new business opportunities
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills with the ability to influence
- Outstanding presentation skills
- track record of success in closing deals in pharmaceuticals and biotechnology
- Ability to understand all aspects of product development and commercialization in the biopharmaceutical industry
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment to meet tight deadlines
- Experience working effectively in multicultural environments
- Must be willing to travel 25% - 35%
The position is full-time and is located at Ambrx’s headquarters in La Jolla, CA. Ambrx offers a dynamic environment and competitive compensation and benefits package. To be considered as a candidate, please submit your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Ambrx is an equal opportunity employer.