Group Leader, Fermentation
Pioneer a brighter future
At Novozymes, we work in close partnership with our customers and the global community to make a sustainable impact. We use science to advance industries, and as part of Research & Technology, you will help find the biological answers and build the new businesses that can pave the way for a brighter future.
Group Leader, Fermentation, Davis, CA
Are you ready for a challenging role that lets you use both your scientific grounding and managerial skills? If so, you could be our new Fermentation Group Leader. The Fermentation team consists of a talented group of scientists, researchers and technicians. As Group Leader, you will responsible for leading efforts to evaluate fermentation performance of new fungal, bacterial and yeast strains.
To help build the next generation of biological solutions, you’ll work across departments within the Davis site as well as coordinate with colleagues and customers at sites across the globe. Alongside an in-depth understanding of the scientific principles of microbial fermentation, you’ll need to demonstrate strong skills in supervising technical teams, managing stake-holders and communicating with diverse audiences. In your daily work, you’ll use these skills to progress enzyme and microbial research and to deliver value-added products for a variety of industries, including household care, biofuels, biomass, animal health and nutrition, as well as driving new technology development.
As Group Leader you will have responsibility to ensure compliance with established guidelines and procedures, including organizational, occupational health, safety and environmental policies.
To keep meeting our business targets in a dynamic environment, people development is a focus area in the daily work for all Zymers as well as continuous improvement of the way we work.
In this position you need:
- Advanced degree in Bio/Chemical Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology, Food Science, or related field.
- PhD plus a minimum of 8 years of experience in a scientific or engineering discipline
- or MS plus a minimum of 14 years of experience in a scientific or engineering discipline
- Significant experience with small-scale fermentation systems and diverse fermentation processes
- Demonstrated supervisory experience
- Proven ability to work with colleagues of diverse training, background, and experience level
- Effectiveness as both a team player and while working independently
- Capacity to organize and manage multiple tasks and relationships simultaneously
- Keen problem-solving skills and a strong work ethic
- Ability to align technical work plans with business and/or customer objectives.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Digital fluency, including experience with MS Office, statistical analysis and DOE
- Schedule flexibility necessary to support occasional problem-solving during off-hours
- Willingness to travel, up to 10%, to sites around the globe
- Readiness to take responsibility
- Demonstrated skills in leading a team and driving for results
Prior industry experience is highly valued, as is knowledge of specific fungal, bacterial, and/or yeast fermentations to produce industrial products.
Are you the next Zymer in our team? Consider a career with Novozymes and let’s unfold your potential together.
Novozymes is the world leader in biological solutions. Together with customers, partners and the global community, we improve industrial performance while preserving the planet’s resources and helping build better lives. As the world’s largest provider of enzyme and microbial technologies, our bioinnovation enables higher agricultural yields, low-temperature washing, energy-efficient production, renewable fuel and many other benefits that we rely on today and in the future. We call it Rethink Tomorrow. www.novozymes.com
Ranked #3 in Science magazine’s global Top Employers Survey 2018.
Novozymes is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, disability or veteran status.
Application deadline: December 12, 2018