Sr. Process Engineer
Corbion is the global market leader in lactic acid, lactic acid derivatives, and a leading company in emulsifiers, functional enzyme blends, minerals, vitamins and algae ingredients. We develop sustainable ingredient solutions to improve the quality of life for people today and for future generations. For over 100 years, we have been uncompromising in our commitment to safety, quality, innovation and performance. Drawing on our deep application and product knowledge, we work side-by-side with customers to make our cutting edge technologies work for them. Our solutions help differentiate products in markets such as food, home & personal care, animal nutrition, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and bioplastics. We have factories in the Netherlands, Spain, Brazil, Thailand and the United States. Corbion has a worldwide network of sales offices and agents in more than 100 countries. Quality, product innovation, and customer orientation are important attributes for our client, which is also characterized by being a collegial, informal and result-oriented company culture.
We are seeking an experienced Sr. Process Engineer with knowledge of fermentation and downstream processes to support our Algae Ingredients business. We lead the industry in developing new applications and markets for algae-based products. With a range of sustainably produced algae products, we are able to deliver breakthrough innovations for human and animal nutrition. Based at our Peoria plant, you will be responsible for the leadership and development for improvements in scalable and economical downstream processes.
- Provide technical leadership and operational oversight for daily fermentation and downstream process operations, activities and personnel.
- Generate new procedures and refine existing procedures for fermentation and downstream processing related equipment; work on complex projects requiring advanced experience.
- Work closely with the Process Development Group and lead teams to develop downstream batch objectives and an optimization plan with the goal of achieving continuous improvement; work closely with shift supervisors and technicians to convey objectives and plans for optimizing and improving downstream processes for a variety of products.
- Identify and lead the implementation of opportunities to improve yields for each downstream unit operation; works with technicians and supervisors to implement yield improvement methods.
- Provide training for shift supervisors, technicians and engineering staff on fermentation and downstream unit operations.
- Oversee the data analysis on downstream batch processes summarizing key performance criteria; use trend analysis to measure unit operation performance and identify improvement opportunities; summarize data trends and use as tools to train, develop, and mentor others on fermentation and downstream process operations.
- Work with project engineers to define process requirements for new equipment installation or modifications for existing equipment; work with project engineers to review equipment installation and prepare systems for plant operation, which includes piping and installation diagram (P&ID) reviews and revisions, valve labeling, Pre-Startup Safety Reviews, development of standard operating procedures, training personnel, and providing oversight for commissioning and startup activities.
- Communicate with Operations and Maintenance department personnel to troubleshoot equipment issues and provide repair recommendations.
- Conduct audits and follow up on action required for compliance for Safety, Environmental, and Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP).
- Exhibit strong leadership and commitment to safety culture; monitor operations and personnel activities to identify, correct and prevent potential safety hazards and improve safety efforts.
- Interact with outside partners, third-party service providers, process equipment manufacturers, and contractors on issues related to downstream manufacturing/production.
- Responsible for information management including technical data collection, organization and maintenance of database, preparation of technical analysis and reports; develop and maintain equipment data sheets.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Engineering required. Biological, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering preferred.
- 5+ years of production and manufacturing experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication; and the ability to work both independently in a multi-disciplinary environment and as a key teammate within an interdisciplinary team.
- Skillful in problem solving and trouble-shooting data, equipment, and procedures.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment without sacrificing accuracy and quality of work.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point.
Corbion is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, handicapping condition, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.
Corbion provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the local Corbion Human Resources department. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.