Scientist, Bakery Applications
Corbion is the global market leader in lactic acid, lactic acid derivatives, and a leading company in emulsifiers, functional enzyme blends, minerals, vitamins and algae ingredients. We develop sustainable ingredient solutions to improve the quality of life for people today and for future generations.
For over 100 years, we have been uncompromising in our commitment to safety, quality, innovation and performance. We are a global food ingredient supplier for leading food manufacturers. We strive to be the leader in keeping food tasty, consistent and fully safe from date of production to day of consumption. With our proven food solutions based on conscious choices, we work side by side and empower our customers to grow and to create affordable food, in the markets of meat, beverage, bakery, confectionery, and dairy, that people love and can safely enjoy with their friends and family, just as we enjoy with ours.
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist, with a background in sweet goods, to join our Bakery Applications Team in Lenexa, Kansas. The successful candidate will be a broadly trained food science technologist that possesses strong application knowledge in functional ingredients related to baking and sweet goods. As a part of the Bakery Applications Team, you will play a key role in developing new products for the baking industry, supporting the sales team, procurement, operations, and business development.
- Conduct and manage assigned projects. This includes up front knowledge seeking on newly assigned projects, developing and executing the technical plans, collecting and analyzing data, communicating project status and results internally and externally, generating reports and making presentations. All while adhering to the needed timelines and cost constraints.
- Transfer bench top development to pilot scale production and to retail/wholesale manufacturing.
- Work directly with customers in launching new products, giving trainings on new technologies, and helping trouble shoot problems and offer technical solutions.
- Serve as a technical resource for both internal and external customers.
- Be flexible in taking on additional tasks, as needed, to support company’s business needs.
- A BS degree in Bakery Science, Food Science, Cereal Chemistry, or related fields with 3+ years technical experience/development work with a major food or food ingredient company is required. A Masters, AIB, or CMB a plus, but not required.
- Expertise in sweet baked goods is preferred (cakes, donuts, Danish, muffins, cookies)
- Strong application knowledge in functional ingredients related to baking. This includes such categories as grains, flours, starches, fibers, sweeteners, hydrocolloids, lipids, enzymes, oxidation, emulsifiers, preservatives and leavening agents.
- Formulation and industrial processing knowledge relating to bakery products required.
- Customer focused with the capability of building trusted relationships with customers to become their go-to expert.
- High motivated self-starter with time-management skills, with the passion of driving for results.
- Strong people skills (both in leading a project and in working with peers and management) are a must with open and clear communication skills. Capable of working effectively in cross-functional team environment.
- Team-player: Builds on expertise of others, and is able to connect the dots to drive for optimal results for Corbion.
- Drive for results/can-do mentality is a must.
- Competent in project management.
- Understanding of experimental design and statistical analysis.
- Possess problem solving skills.
- MS Office proficiency required
- Travel up to 30%
Corbion is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, handicapping condition, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.
Corbion provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Corbion Human Resources department. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.