Senior Research Associate, Molecular Biology & Biochemistry
Verily, an Alphabet company, lives at the intersection of technology, data science and healthcare. Our mission is to make the world’s health data useful so that people enjoy longer and healthier lives. We are developing tools and devices to collect, organize and activate health data, and creating interventions to prevent and manage disease.
Verily Life Sciences is recruiting a molecular biologist to aid in the research and development of novel biomarker assays to explore the molecular content and diagnostic applications of circulating vesicles. You will work with interdisciplinary teams comprised of biochemists, molecular biologists, cancer biologists and computational biologists.
Our team combines expertise in biology, chemistry, physics, medicine, engineering, computer science, and more to create interventions that exponentially improve patient care. We partner with leading life sciences, medical device and government organizations to enable fast development, meaningful advances, and deployment at scale. Our work spans many projects, including Project Baseline, the quest to map human health beginning with a 10,000 person observational study; Liftware, stabilizing utensil handles to aid individuals with hand tremor or limited mobility; and Debug, an effort to eradicate mosquito-borne disease with Sterile Insect Technique. For more information, please visit our website.
- Develop and optimize novel blood-plasma based diagnostic workflows, evaluating circulating nucleic acids and proteins in extracellular vesicles for disease biomarker discovery and validation.
- Organize and maintain equipment, supplies and reagents to support an efficient and productive laboratory work environment.
- Maintain detailed, accurate and up-to-date lab records and electronic notebooks.
- Work collaboratively on research projects while driving individual contributions to laboratory workflows with minimal oversight.
- Effectively communicate and periodically present result to a diverse research team.
- Bachelor's degree in biochemistry, molecular biology, oncology, immunology, or a related field plus 7 years of industry laboratory experience. Equivalent: Master’s degree plus 5 years industry laboratory experience.
- Expertise in protein biochemistry, including extraction, quantification and characterization assays (e.g. BCA assay, western blots, and LC-MS)
- Sustained research experience in designing, running and troubleshooting immuno-assays (e.g. ELISA, immunomagnetic capture assays, flow cytometry, bilayer interferometry etc.).
- Research experience isolating and molecularly profiling extracellular vesicles, exosomes and/or other circulating biomarkers.
- Experience with affinity, ion exchange, and size exclusion chromatography on an AKTA FPLC system or equivalent.
- Experience with sample preparation and instrument operation for LC-MS proteomic analysis.