Research Associate, Molecular Biology & Biochemistry
Verily, an Alphabet company, lives at the intersection of technology, data science and healthcare. Our mission is to make the world’s health data useful so that people enjoy longer and healthier lives. We are developing tools and devices to collect, organize and activate health data, and creating interventions to prevent and manage disease.
Verily Life Sciences is recruiting a molecular biologist to aid in the research and development of novel biomarker assays to explore the molecular content and diagnostic applications of circulating vesicles. You will work with interdisciplinary teams comprised of biochemists, molecular biologists, cancer biologists and computational biologists.
Our team combines expertise in biology, chemistry, physics, medicine, engineering, computer science, and more to create interventions that exponentially improve patient care. We partner with leading life sciences, medical device and government organizations to enable fast development, meaningful advances, and deployment at scale. Our work spans many projects, including Project Baseline, the quest to map human health beginning with a 10,000 person observational study; Liftware, stabilizing utensil handles to aid individuals with hand tremor or limited mobility; and Debug, an effort to eradicate mosquito-borne disease with Sterile Insect Technique. For more information, please visit our website.
- Assist the research and development of blood-plasma based diagnostic workflows, evaluating nucleic acids and proteins in extracellular vesicles for disease biomarker discovery and validation.
- Organize and maintain equipment, supplies and reagents to support an efficient and productive laboratory work environment.
- Maintain detailed, accurate and up-to-date lab records and electronic notebooks.
- Work collaboratively on research projects while driving individual contributions to laboratory workflows with minimal oversight.
- Effectively communicate and periodically present results to a diverse research team.
- Bachelor's degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, genomic sciences, oncology, or a related field, with 3+ years of industry laboratory experience.
- Experience with a variety of cell and molecular biology techniques, including tissue culture, nucleic acid extraction, QC, amplification and NGS methods.
- Research experience working primary with biofluids specimens, like plasma or serum.
- Research experience isolating and molecularly profiling extracellular vesicles, exosomes and/or cell-free RNA/DNA.
- Developing and/or optimizing next generation targeted sequencing, genomics or epigenomics assays.
- Experience analyzing sequencing data a plus.
- Excellent creativity, decision making, and troubleshooting skills.