Associate Director, Process and System Steward
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we're doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck's leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, PROCESS AND SYSTEM STEWARD
The Process and Systems Steward (P&SS) is a core role within our research division's Global Medical Affairs (GMA) organization that is accountable for the end-to-end stewardship of key Medical Affairs processes that promote operational efficiencies and achievement of GMA priorities and objectives. This will include partnering with business stakeholders, process owners, other GMA functions, Information Technology and external vendors/partners to enable effective and innovative business processes that are supported by quality systems. The P&SS has overall global process and system oversight, ensuring that processes, metadata and systems are consistently defined and deployed across all colleagues in GMA for all Therapeutic Areas.
The individual will bring experience in partnering with Business Functions to collaborate with global stakeholders to create, implement, document, communicate, track and improve critical MA processes and systems, working in the fast-paced and dynamic environment of Medical Affairs Operations.
While process area assignments will vary over time, this position will initially be focused on Process and Systems Strategic and Operational Excellence. Reporting to and partnering directly with the Process and Systems Leader, this P&SS position will have additional accountability for the strategic definition and execution of the following: Business architecture & process improvement/monitoring methodology, partnering with IT on integrated GMA systems architecture, Process and Systems support model, internal documentation/communication of processes and initiatives via teamsite, process and systems governance/prioritization, global roadmap development, change management, coordinating and facilitating operational reviews across teams, executive level status and value reporting.
Key Responsibilities Include, But Not Limited To:
Process and Systems Steward:
- Serve as Process & System Steward for multiple processes and systems leveraged by GMA as assigned
- Successfully partner within GMA, across business functions, geographies and therapy areas to design, monitor, improve and execute effective processes
- Partner with other GMA Operations teams to drive global process improvement projects and develop implementation plans for global rollout of process and systems
- Be a key partner in the evaluation and selection of systems technology, partnering with the GMA Information Technology function
- Maintain up-to-date process and system documentation that is easily consumable per team standards
- Adhere to the compliance and regulatory procedures, working closely with Global Compliance and Legal
Process and Systems Operational Excellence:
- Define business architecture and process Improvement/monitoring methodology, tools and team training plan
- Partnering with IT on integrated GMA systems architecture
- Defining Process and Systems Support Model and monitoring effectiveness
- Design and improve internal documentation/communication of process and initiatives via temsite
- Define process and systems governance/prioritization process, facilitate on-going meeting and monitor effectiveness
- Develop and maintain the 3-year global roadmap of initiatives
- Provide changement management best practices for team
- Coordinate and facilitate operational reviews across process and systems teams
- Create executive level status and value reporting across the process and systems teams
Required Education and Background:
- Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience in process and systems related work
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience planning and implementing global processes and systems
- Expertise to lead process and systems workshops, interviews and other methodologies to inform effective and efficient, new and updated processes and systems
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of process and system design/improvement methodologies and tools
- Knowledge of governance/prioritization processes and roadmap creation
- Excellent verbal and written communication to technical and non-technical audiences of various levels within the organization, including interacting with executives
- Outstanding presentation and facilitation skills
- Strong leadership skills and proven ability to influence without authority
- Strategic thinker and ability for innovation and non-traditional thinking
- Demonstrated success in a fast-paced matrixed environment, with the ability to learn on the fly while understanding and solving new problems, requiring a high level of independent judgement and initiative
- Abiity to switch between "big picture" and low level of detail as needed
- Ability to identify the most efficient and effective way to implement new services
- Good interpersonal and networking skills
- Friendly, outgoing, energetic, enthusiastic, stimulating
- Curious and constantly challenging the status quo
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate cross-functionally and with global stakeholders to achieve business objectives
- Strong analytical, decision-making, problem-solving, interpersonal, and time management skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience working with Life Sciences and Medical Affairs or Medical Affairs Operations
- Having worked on a global level
- Change management, Sigma and Project Management certification
- Business or Solutions Architecture Experience
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
To be considered for this position, please visit our career site at merck.com/careers, search jobs, create a profile and submit your resume for requisition # MED003879.
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit: