Head of Strategic Partnerships
Berkeley Lab is seeking a Head of Strategic Partnerships.
Berkeley Lab has an exciting opportunity for a dynamic and visionary leader to serve as the Head of the newly reorganized Strategic Partnerships Office (SPO). Reporting to the Lab Deputy Director for Research, the Head of SPO is engaged in overall management, leadership, and strategic planning in support of non-DOE extramural funding opportunities.
Key responsibilities include: leading a best-in-class research contracts organization; identifying funding opportunities that are aligned with the Lab’s scientific goals and effectively communicating them to researchers; working in collaboration with other Laboratory stakeholders as cradle-to-grave process owner of industry agreements and non-DOE federal research contracts; overseeing the Lab’s proposal and contract development process; and interacting with internal and external stakeholders including DOE, UC, LBNL management, government officials, peers at other national labs, and industry contacts; and ensuring compliance with applicable laws, regulations and policies that govern Berkeley Lab sponsored projects.
The SPO Head provides critical direction, leadership, management and linkage to key organizational groups, programs, and objectives, in concert with the SPO mission as well as overall LBNL and DOE missions.
The Head of Strategic Partnerships:
- Provides overall leadership and management of the SPO Department, including leading, planning, and organizing, a broad range of program initiatives executed by contract administrators, finance professionals, and business support staff.
- Creates and leads a SPO department that encourages and lives by professional standards of accountability, respect, courtesy, teamwork and collaboration.
- Provides outreach to the Lab community: develops and maintains programs that identify and communicate strategic funding opportunities to scientists, and increases engagement in strategic partnerships across the scientific divisions.
- Is an equal participant and/or advocate in senior Lab management discussions on matters related to partner-funded research programs; resource allocation; and proper process, procedures and controls to support the efficient administration of awards and grants.
- Serves as the Lab’s strategic leader who can drive operational efficiency and process improvement in all aspects of SPO operations. Leads the effort to develop/improve internal policy, procedures, and contractual vehicles used to secure funding.
- Serves as primary Laboratory interface with DOE and UC on policies and procedures for securing sponsored projects, including direction and interpretation. Provides guidance and consultation to Scientific Divisions and OCFO, ensuring that efficient and effective interfaces exist.
- Establishes and maintains strong working relationships and partnerships with key internal and external stakeholders (including DOE, UC, LBNL management, government officials, peers at other national labs, and industry contacts, etc.) on critical sponsored projects issues. Represents the Lab at stakeholder meetings and discussions.
- Provides mentorship and leadership to the team. Manage for high performance by ensuring staff has defined performance expectations and clear developmental and career goals.
- Advanced degree in science, engineering, law and/or business disciplines with a minimum of 15 years applicable experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated leadership and experience in program/business development, successfully identifying funding and collaboration opportunities for a research university, a national laboratory, or a highly technological, large and complex private sector organization, or demonstrably equivalent experience.
- Highly sophisticated skills in strategy development, process development, systems, planning and change management, with a proven track record of positively transforming organization(s).
- Ability to interact effectively with senior levels of management within the Lab, UC, DOE, and external organizations, as well as personnel at all levels throughout the organization.
- Proven managerial, consensus building, and negotiation skills. Ability to resolve conflicts and solve complex problems.
- Excellent written and oral communications skill.
- Demonstrated ability to provide consultation and deliver high level presentations and briefings to executive level management, business leaders, government officials, and researchers.
- Demonstrated record of outstanding customer service and commitment to ongoing quality improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage an interdisciplinary team of exempt professionals and business support staff, fostering a culture of professionalism and inclusion in the department.
- Knowledge of contracting practices.
- Experience in financial management and oversight.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Expertise in DOE/UC Strategic Partnerships and Technology Transfer policies and procedures. Knowledge of UC and DOE intellectual property policies.
- Familiarity with Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) or other national research laboratory, University of California (UC), and/or Department of Energy (DOE) policies and processes for conflicts of interest, business practices, contracting, etc.
- This is a full-time, career position that is appointed by and serves at the discretion of the Laboratory Director, and this appointment is at will and may be terminated at any time with or without cause.
- Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
Work will be primarily performed at: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=147043 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.