Synthorx is a pharmaceuticals company using a novel synthetic biology platform for the discovery and production of improved protein therapeutics. We have advanced a revolutionary technology that expands the genetic alphabet to drive the site-specific incorporation of multiple non-natural amino acids into proteins of any size, and to manufacture these improved proteins at scale. This technology enables the design of biotherapeutics with useful chemical functionality and catalyzes the discovery of innovative medicines for previously difficult to drug targets. We are hiring a scientist to join the bioanalytical team. The successful candidate will have a strong background in large molecule bioanalysis and will be responsible for method development, protein characterization, and transfer to Contract Research Organizations (CROs) in accordance with current expectations/guidance in the industry.
- Independently designs, plans and implements, bioanalytical assays in support of late-stage research and external CMC activities.
- Develops bioassays, writes protocols, transfers assays and oversees execution and qualification at CROs and CDMOs.
- Manages bioanalytical assays for characterization of protein biologics. Assays include SEC, RP, cIEF and ELISA techniques.
- Develops LC-MS/MS assays for characterization and quantitation of proteins, peptides, and small molecules of interest.
- Troubleshoots challenging technical, experimental, and instrument issues.
- Processes, reviews and interpret data; presents and reports results to internal teams and external partners.
- Generates technical reports and supports regulatory filings.
- Maintain a high standard for quality control including up-to-date data records for incoming and processed samples.
- Supervise, train and mentor junior staff and provide insight and technical expertise for project progression.
- Ph.D. degree in chemistry/biochemistry or related field with 5+ years of bioanalytical laboratory experience or a MS/BS degree with at least 10/12 years of bioanalytical experience is required.
- Proven ability to think critically and creatively to identify and solve bioanalytical assay development challenges.
- Consummate ability to work in a highly collaborative, fast-paced, cross-functional environment, with superior oral and written communication skills.
- Strong subject matter expertise in bioanalytical mass spectrometry techniques and data analysis for characterization of protein biologics including intact mass analysis, peptide mass fingerprinting and multiple reaction monitoring based quantitation of proteins.
- Proven expertise with technologies for qualitative and quantitative analysis of therapeutic proteins.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and the ability to work independently and within a multi-disciplinary environment as well as with external partners.
- Experience taking on leadership roles through direct or indirect management or mentoring associates.
- Strong interpersonal skills to thrive in a team environment.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills; communicates through clear, concise reporting and by maintaining high quality, accurate electronic scientific notebook records.
- Proven track record of success in anticipating and managing issues in a proactive fashion.
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment to meet aggressive deadlines is a must.
Additional preferred skills:
- Basic understanding of cancer and/or immuno-biology
- Familiar with protein expression and purification
- While work environment is non-GLP (discovery stage) a basic knowledge of regulated bioanalysis in GLP and/or GMP environment is a plus.