Sr. Research Associate - In Vivo Pharmacology
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc., is a biotechnology company dedicated to discovering, developing and providing novel small molecule drugs that significantly improve the lives of patients with immune and hematologic disorders, cancer and rare diseases. Rigel's pioneering research focuses on signaling pathways that are critical to disease mechanisms. The company's first FDA approved product is TAVALISSE™ (fostamatinib disodium hexahydrate), an oral spleen tyrosine kinase (SYK) inhibitor, for the treatment of adult patients with chronic immune thrombocytopenia who have had an insufficient response to a previous treatment. Rigel's current clinical programs include Phase 2 studies of fostamatinib in autoimmune hemolytic anemia and IgA nephropathy. In addition, Rigel has product candidates in development with partners BerGenBio AS, Daiichi Sankyo, and Aclaris Therapeutics
As a key member of our research group, the candidate will be primarily responsible for conducting in vivo pharmacology studies (efficacy and toxicology) in mice/rats in support of the Immunology department research programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and implement in vivo studies (including all in-life phases of animal studies), such as mouse and rat models of inflammatory diseases and toxicology, in collaboration with research scientists.
- Perform routine procedures such as dosing, bleeding, inoculations and necropsies, monitor animal health, collect and record data.
- Perform in vitro assays in support of PK/PD studies including ELISA and multiplex analysis of blood, serum and tissue samples.
- Analyze data; prepare and present data to the research group.
- Work closely with the in vivo pharmacology team to support ongoing efficacy and pharmacokinetic studies.
- Establish new animal models as needed, including pilot studies for model development and troubleshooting.
- Provide weekend/holiday coverage for the vivarium when needed.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum of a B.A./B.S. degree in a science-related field with at least 5 years’ experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
- Strong animal handling skills (mice and rats). Must be dedicated to providing humane animal care in accordance with all relevant regulations and current practice standards.
- Experience with in vivo studies required: routine administration (oral gavage, intravenous, subcutaneous and intraperitoneal), blood collection (retro-orbital or tail vein bleeding, cardiac puncture), tissue harvest and necropsy.
- Experience with rodent models of inflammatory diseases, including the ability to evaluate and score clinical outcomes, and familiarity with toxicological responses are highly desirable skills.
- Desire to learn and understand the basic biologic mechanisms underlying our programs.
- Ability to document, plan and implement studies; experience with maintaining a laboratory notebook and following protocols.
- Experience with software such as Excel, GraphPad Prism and PowerPoint for data entry, analysis and presentation.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Strong team player with excellent interpersonal and communications skills; able to work effectively with variety of people; adaptable to changing work requirements; willing to multi-task; high degree of professional integrity; strong work ethic; show initiative.
- Be ready to embrace Rigel values and culture.
Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by the law.