Sr. Scientist, Stem Cell Biology
Our client, a leader in DNA solutions, is seeking a Sr. Scientist for their Stem Cell Biology group.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead a high-performance technical and support team on reproductive biology projects. Responsible for derivation and maintenance of primary cells, adult stem cells, and pluripotent stem cells (ESC/iPSCs) for various therapeutic programs.
- Responsible for process development of primary cells, adult stem cells, and pluripotent stem cells.
- Execute high throughput screens to assess functionality and differentiation ability of stem cells and gene-modified stem cells.
- Actively collaborate with other CEU teams, other intrexon divisions and external research and commercial partners as applicable to support technology transfer and collaborative projects.
- Maintain expert knowledge of current literature.
- Propose continual process improvements for efficiency and quality.
- Prepare technical reports and make clear and succinct scientific presentations that can be shared and transferred to and from cross-functional teams.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES (if candidate level determines)
Supervise 1-3 employees
- Provide leadership, drive change, and execute on the company’s mission and core values.
- Cross-train and coach staff to maintain an efficient, lean, and knowledgeable team.
- Coordinate and lead regular project meetings.
- Create a weekly and daily schedule for the team; coordinate individual and teamwork assignments that foster innovation and produce results.
- Create SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound) metrics for the team to follow and monitor their advancement on projects under rapidly shifting priorities and timelines.
- Ensure relevant safety protocols and instructions are readily available and strictly adhered to.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ph.D. in stem Cell Biology, developmental biology, reproductive biology, Molecular Biology, or related field.
- Minimum two years’ experience, industry experience preferred.
- Extensive expertise in pluripotent stem cell culture, in particular adult stem cells, ES cells, iPS cells.
- Characterization, maintenance and differentiation of pluripotent stem cell lines.
- Working experience on iPSC derivation. Working experience on bovine iPSC derivation is a plus but not required.
- In depth knowledge of early developmental biology and reproductive biology.
- Experienced in the development of ESC/iPSC differentiation protocols.
- Working experience with cell purification methods (FACS or similar technologies) required.
- Hands-on experience with image-based, high-throughput screening.
- Proven track record in process improvements and technical troubleshooting.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and an ability to communicate complex concepts in a concise, simplified manner.
- Demonstrated attention to details and ability to effectively manage own projects and priorities.
- Supervisory/management experience a plus.
- Experience using high-content, image-based software analysis systems is a plus.
- Must be a team player and comfortable in fast-paced environment.