Research Associate - High Throughput Screening
The Assay and Screening group supports internal projects at all stages of the pipeline. As part of an integrated and cross-functional drug discovery team, assay biologists are responsible for biochemical and cellular screening assays, and deciphering mechanisms of action, including validation of new targets. The Research Associate will be a critical member of the Assay and Screening Team reporting to a Scientist. This is an exceptional opportunity to gain experience as a contractor in a successful biotech company. This is a contract role for approximately 6 months.
- Optimize and conduct in vitro compound screens in various biochemical and cell based assays for multiple projects.
- Develop and implement database entry, analysis and quality control of new assays, generate timely compound activity data, and provide clear and concise reports to the various project teams
- Document progress in electronic laboratory notebook, suitable for publication and patent protection of all work
- General lab management, maintain various lab equipment and a clean and safe lab environment, define requirements and test new instrumentation when needed
- Present progress at assay and screening group meetings, Discovery team and project team meetings
- Other duties as assigned
Position Requirements & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Cellular and/or Molecular Biology or related discipline with at least 5 years of lab experience
- Familiarity with the science and methods employed in small molecule drug discovery
- Experience with enzymatic and/or protein/protein-interaction assay development and optimization for drug development
- Cell culture experience is required
- Experience with a variety of standard laboratory instrumentation and detection techniques, FRET, FP, fluorescence, luminescence, AlphaScreen, etc. in drug discovery
- Experience with lab automation, robotics and drug discovery databases for data entry and analysis is required (e.g. Abase, Assay Explorer, Spotfire, and D360).
- High attention to detail and accuracy, with independent thought in addressing complex problems
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are essential in this collaborative work environment
- Excellent time management skills, with proven multitasking and autonomous task management
- Comfortable in a fast-paced small company environment that requires flexibility to adjusting workloads based upon changing priorities and willingness to be a team player in order to accomplish the common goal of the project, regardless of level or type of work