Senior Specialist, Global Medical Affairs Operations: Project Manager - Global Meetings
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Senior Specialist, Project Manager – Global Meetings is a key member of the GMA (Global Medical Affairs) Medical Operations organization responsible for leading the planning and execution of internal Global Meetings from conception through completion (pre, on-site and post-meeting) ensuring priority meeting objectives are met. This role, which has both an internal and external focus, requires someone adept at juggling competing priorities, with responsibility for handling oversight, logistical details and follow-through for global meetings within GMA. The Senior Specialist, Project Manager – Global Meetings, works on multiple meetings, proactively solves problems and maintains a keen eye for detail and organization. The Senior Specialist is expected to work independently on some projects and collaborate with colleagues on others. Responsibilities include ensuring that the overall timelines and objectives are met and facilitating the creation, maintenance and approval of all deliverables, including up-to-date detailed project and risk plans, issue logs and other control artifacts as defined by Medical Operations. Additionally, the individual in this role communicates with all stakeholders of the global meetings and possesses a keen understanding of the strategic intent and critical importance of communicating GMA’s vision and priority initiatives with internal teams. Using the meeting planning roadmap, the Senior Specialist as project manager ensures meetings deliverables are met as they pertain to 1) logistics, 2) meeting communications, and 3) technology, enabling successful meetings.
This individual must work with key internal partners to secure GMA and other company leaders as speakers (many times Executive Committee (EC) and EC+1) and ensure the agenda follows a theme that will achieve meeting objectives. Additionally, the Senior Specialist, Project Manager – Global Meetings, is responsible for all aspects of the meeting as outlined below to ensure both a pleasant and richly rewarding educational experience for participants to help drive GMA’s transformation.
- Working with GMA Operations, as project manager, ensure delivery of meeting communications in alignment with meeting stakeholders.
- Maintain proactive, positive, open line of communication to ensure understanding of expectations and leader satisfaction.
- Conduct regularly scheduled status meetings with stakeholders leading up to each meeting through program execution and post-meeting closeout.
- Develop strategic partnerships with multiple contacts within client and supplier organizations.
- Regular communication with the project team to determine project status updates.
- Drive process for kick off meetings, briefings and de-brief meetings.
- Responsible for: printing and distribution of invitations, monitoring and maintaining attendance lists, creating and maintaining informational database for current meetings (activity charts and status reports), maintaining and updating client (internal and external) profiles, and triaging attendees' inquiries and correspondence.
- Leverage latest technology to enhance attendee engagement.
- Working with GMA Operations, track deliverables and serve as the project manager regarding meeting web presence, including coordinating pre-meeting assignments as appropriate.
- Plan and implement mobile surveys, polling and social Q&A.
- Subject matter expert in various database systems including Zarca, team site and Cvent.
- Leverage data analytics to enhance the attendee experience and improve events.
Education Minimum Requirement:
Required Experience and Skills:
- Meeting Management Experience
- Strong project management skills including communication (both oral and written), facilitation, negotiation / conflict resolution, and resource management skills;
- Track record as a deadline-oriented self-starter with frequent outreach to teams to maintain project timelines.
- Must have managed at least one project that had multi-location teams
- Travel required: 25% (International and Domestic)
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Project management certification is a plus.
- Excellent people skills, leadership qualities and ability to build strong relationships with teams / executives, including experience leading cross-functional teams in high-visibility projects with multiple deliverables.
- Experience working in a matrixed organization with the ability to lead and influence teams and stakeholders
- Proven problem-solving and analytical skills
- Strong background in facilitating and managing requirements for global projects
- Solid MS Project, Excel, Word, Visio, and PowerPoint skills
- Knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry
- Experience with change management
- International experience in a global company
- 10+ years of work experience
- Advanced degree, preferably in business management or project management
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of it’s manifestations.
Job: Medical Affairs Generic
Other Locations: Kenilworth, NJ, US
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name: Merck