Senior Scientist, Fermentation Process Development
Corbion is the global market leader in lactic acid, lactic acid derivatives, and a leading company in emulsifiers, functional enzyme blends, minerals, vitamins and algae ingredients. We develop sustainable ingredient solutions to improve the quality of life for people today and for future generations. For over 100 years, we have been uncompromising in our commitment to safety, quality, innovation and performance. Drawing on our deep application and product knowledge, we work side-by-side with customers to make our cutting edge technologies work for them. Our solutions help differentiate products in markets such as food, home & personal care, animal nutrition, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and bioplastics. We have factories in the Netherlands, Spain, Brazil, Thailand and the United States. Corbion has a worldwide network of sales offices and agents in more than 100 countries. Quality, product innovation, and customer orientation are important attributes for our client, which is also characterized by being a collegial, informal and result-oriented company culture.
Corbion’s Algae Ingredients business is based in South San Francisco, California and leads the industry in developing new applications and markets for algae-based products. We have a range of sustainably produced algae products that deliver breakthrough innovations for human and animal nutrition.
We are seeking a Senior Scientist to join Fermentation Process Development team at our South San Francisco site. The position level may be adjusted corresponding to the candidate’s experience and qualifications. This position involves research and development activities involving aerobic fermentations for a broad range of applications - including aquaculture, food, chemical, and personal care. The individual will be a hands-on bench scientist responsible for the design and execution of scientific activities critical to corporate strategies.
- Design, execute, and analyze critical fermentation process development experiments to maximize understanding of microbial physiology, optimize key performance metrics, and improve fermentation sciences
- Contribute to the development of new principles, concepts, and methods to enable process development, scale-up of processes to pilot scale, and technology transfer to manufacturing scale
- Conduct laboratory bench work to execute, optimize, and troubleshoot fermentation process operations
- Analyze, summarize, and present experimental results to expedite development in a collaborative team environment
- Interface with multidisciplinary groups and represent fermentation process expertise at scientific and project meetings
- Supervise the work of direct reports and mentor the development of junior staff to promote professional development
- Doctorate in Chemical Engineering/Microbiology or related scientific field with five or more years of relevant industry experience
- Demonstrated hands-on experience and knowledge of fermentation science and biochemical engineering principles, theory, and practice
- Hands-on experience with optimization of cultivation media, aerobic fermentation process monitoring/control, and operations at laboratory scale
- Hands-on experience with microbial cultivation and aseptic techniques
- Preferred experience with automated process control strategies with feedback and feed-forward logic
- Familiarity and ability to work with common fermentation laboratory equipment: fermentors or bioreactors (Applikon EzControl and others), autoclave, pH meter, laboratory scales and balances, centrifuge, fermentation process control software (Applikon Bioxpert or others) and others
- Ability to work in a fermentation laboratory and routinely handle and lift equipment up to 40 pounds
- Ability to work independently and in a multidisciplinary research team
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Proficiency with MS Office suite and ability to utilize new software/automation tools for scientific and business activities
- Ability to occasionally work off-shift hours as required for microbial cultivation processes
- Occasional travel to support business activities such as technology transfer and manufacturing support as necessary
HOW TO APPLY:
The method for applying for this vacancy is online via the Corbion’s home page at www.corbion.com/careers. No other forms of application will be accepted.
Corbion is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, handicapping condition, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.
Corbion provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the local Corbion Human Resources department. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.