Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer
At Cepheid, we are passionate about improving healthcare through faster, more accurate diagnostic tests. With our GeneXpert® System, we’ve taken the most sophisticated molecular technology and packaged it into an automated, easy-to-use format that has quickly become the platform of choice worldwide. From the largest laboratories to small physician offices, our game-changing solution delivers critical answers when clinicians and patients need them most. Through strong molecular biology capabilities and ongoing product innovation, we are focused on developing tests for healthcare-associated infections, sexual health, critical infectious disease, virology, and oncology applications. Come join our vision for a better way and help make life better for us all! For more details, visit us at www.cepheid.com or follow us on Twitter (@CepheidNews).
The Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer will be relied upon as a hands-on expert in a fast-paced team that is developing Cepheid’s next generation medical diagnostic instrument platforms, lab automation and production systems. This role work within a team comprised of electrical, mechanical, software and optical engineers to design and productize molecular diagnostic systems that will be commercialized as key products in Cepheid's portfolio.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Participate within a team of Mechanical, Electrical, and Software Engineers to design and integrate motorized control systems, electrical, and optical subsystems into complete diagnostic instruments.
• Execute upon injection-molded designs for production – design production tooling, hands-on work with tooling vendors, design & execute first-article inspection parameters to identify and ensure successful implementation of critical-to-function dimensions.
• Create integrated electromechanical product designs suitable for high-volume manufacturing.
• Facilitate complex problem solving, enhance collaboration across functional groups, and support development efforts for new product development.
• Ensure that concept studies and feasibility work and documentation adequately address and resolve risks related to system performance.
• Derive and translate instrument tests, processes, and methods to Operations.
• Identify and address issues that would affect the ability of the development organization to proceed towards successful product launches.
• Drive redesigns that address the determined root-cause and collaborate/perform/lead with other Team members in the verification, validation and Change Order submission and implementation of the redesigns.
• Multi-task at a high level across diverse product platforms and systems.
• This position entails rigorous process discipline and documentation practices as well as excellent cross-functional communication skills to assure functionality, safety, reliability, and quality of the product.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, or similar technical discipline.
• A minimum 3 years of experience in hands-on instrumentation design; 5 years of experience preferred.
• Proven product development/commercialization experience within a risk-control framework.
• Proficient in SolidWorks 2010+ and PDM Workgroup.
• Proficient in the application of drawing standards that meet ANSI Y14.5M - 1994 requirements.
• Knowledge in design methods that enable production of electromechanical for high-volume manufacture.
• Fast learner, self-motivated, willing to work outside the job description.
• Ability to work well under pressure, participate in multiple projects, and meet deadlines.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Knowledge and skills:
• Strong knowledge of volume manufacturing techniques - injection molding, stamped metal parts, etc.
• Working knowledge of Mechanical Design tools (SolidWorks preferred).
• Operational knowledge of advance analysis tools such as FEA, reliability, CFD and tolerance.
• Demonstrated rigorous process discipline and documentation practices to assure functionality, safety, reliability and quality of the product.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated technical writing skills.
• Statistics knowledge required.
• Working knowledge of design of experiments (DOE), interpretation of test results, failure investigation and root-cause failure analysis.
• Should demonstrate a strong interest in cross-functional project work.
• Basic fabrication/machining techniques.
• Medical equipment product development/support experience.
• Experience in a quality-controlled work environment.
• Fixture design experience.
• Experience with Die Casting.
• Competent with basic inspection and measurement equipment.
• CNC machining experience.
• Ability to lift 25 lbs.
• Must be able to perform routine laboratory tasks.
Danaher Corporation Overview
Danaher is a global science & technology innovator committed to helping our customers solve complex challenges and improve quality of life worldwide. Our world class brands are leaders in some of the most demanding and attractive industries, including life sciences, medical diagnostics, dental, environmental and applied solutions. Our globally diverse team of 67,000 associates is united by a common culture and operating system, the Danaher Business System, which serves as our competitive advantage. We generated $18.3B in revenue last year. We are ranked #162 on the Fortune 500 and our stock has outperformed the S&P 500 by more than 1,200% over 20 years.
At Danaher, you can build a career in a way no other company can duplicate. Our brands allow us to offer dynamic careers across multiple industries. We’re innovative, fast-paced, results-oriented, and we win. We need talented people to keep winning. Here you’ll learn how DBS is used to shape strategy, focus execution, align our people, and create value for customers and shareholders. Come join our winning team.