Scientist, Molecular Neurobiology
Scientist, Molecular Neurobiology
CODA Biotherapeutics (www.codabiotherapeutics.com) is an early-stage venture backed biotechnology company located in South San Francisco, California. Our chemogenetics platform aims to treat neurological indications through modulation of specific target cell activity utilizing engineered ligand-gated ion channels delivered via gene therapy. The engineered ligand-gated ion channels are designed to interact with defined small molecule therapeutics and act as a switch to activate or inactivate specific neuronal populations as a means for treating neurological diseases.
We are looking for a highly motivated and dynamic candidate for the role of Scientist, Molecular Neurobiology. This is a fantastic opportunity to make a significant impact as a scientifically motivated self-starter capable of independently conceiving, conducting, and critically analyzing his/her own work with minimal supervision.
- Design and Evaluation of Recombinant Viral Vectors (e.g. AAV, HSV, LV) to Transduce Mammalian Cell Cultures: Design and evaluate recombinant viral vectors for targeted delivery and expression of engineering ligand-gated ion channels in neurons and other mammalian cells.
- Optimize Expression of Functional Ligand-Gated Ion Channels: Use techniques in molecular biology, biochemistry, microscopy and/or flow cytometry to characterize the expression, folding, transport and assembly of multi-subunit ligand-gated ion channels; determine requirements for proper folding and surface expression of functional ligand-gated channels in different mammalian cell types.
- Mammalian Cell Culture of Different Cell Types: Maintain different cell types for profiling ligand-gated ion channels, including primary mammalian neurons, cell lines and/or hiPSC- derived cell types.
- Organization and Communication of Data: Analyze, interpret, and communicate data in written and oral modalities in both informal and formal settings. Generate and manage meticulous method protocols, data and analysis reports in a clear and highly organized fashion.
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. degree in neuroscience, molecular biology, protein biochemistry or related field with at least 7, 5, or 3 years, respectively, of post-degree research experience.
- Experience using techniques in biochemistry and molecular biology to characterize protein folding, assembly, transport, and surface expression (e.g. inhibitor assays of formation/degradation pathways, anti-body pull-downs, fluorescent tagging with imaging/confocal microscopy or flow cytometry, NMR-based characterization).
- Experience designing and using recombinant viral vector systems (e.g. AAV, LV, and/or HSV) for the transduction of mammalian cells, particularly with cell surface receptors; experience with viral vector packaging, purification, and quality assurance a major plus.
- Experience isolating and culturing of primary neurons from rodents, culturing of stable cell lines and differentiation of human iPSCs.
- Experience and knowledge of ion channels; particularly experience with ligand-gated ion channels, especially any experience with mutational analysis is a plus.
- Good working knowledge of MS office, data plotting and graphing software and able to communicate results effectively.
Dynamic self-starter with a drive for results
Motivates others to do their best; celebrates differences; team-oriented
Strong attention to detail
Scientific curiosity paired with a strong work ethic and grit
Thrives in a dynamic and fast-paced entrepreneurial setting and fluidly adapts to change
Embraces the lean start-up mentality and never says or enjoys hearing “that’s not my job”
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: commensurate with role and experience. CODA Biotherapeutics, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, generous paid time off and much more.