Director, Corporate Development, Asahi Kasei Pharma
Asahi Kasei Group (AK), a diversified company that has an expanding global healthcare business, has created an initiative to accelerate the global expansion of its pharmaceutical businesses through mergers & acquisitions and other corporate transactions. This newly created position, the Director of Corporate Development at Asahi Kasei Pharma Corporation (AKP) will serve as a key contributor to implement this initiative.
We are actively seeking a highly motivated and talented individual to join our rapidly growing team in Chelmsford, MA. If you are looking to be a part of leadership with an unwavering commitment to create a global specialty pharmaceutical company, we hope you will explore our career openings and get to know AKP.
The Director will have responsibility for executing a Corporate Development strategy, specifically M&A. The role will focus on leading, driving, communicating corporate development activities, and negotiating and executing corporate transactions. The successful candidate will report to the Chief Executive Officer of AKP, based in Tokyo, Japan. This position must enjoy working closely with AKP’s various Japanese people. This position will be an integral part of the growing Corporate Development efforts of the other parts of Asahi Kasei Healthcare Business Unit.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
Establish a Best Practice of M&A and Other Corporate Transactions for AKP
• The Director must be an initial person and an individual contributor as well who will make various hands-on efforts to establish the first U.S. based, M&A dedicated executional capacity in AKP.
• In conjunction with AKP senior management, define and implement a robust process for successful M&A and other corporate transactions by AKP.
• Define activities, roles, milestones, deliverables, decisions points and decision criteria.
• Create templates for financial modeling, diligence tracking, and presentations to the management.
Build a Pipeline for Corporate Development
• Understand the designated target areas and broad financial parameters that are acceptable for AKP.
• Create a pipeline of opportunities; work to identify potential targets that fit AKP’s corporate development strategy.
• Develop relationships in therapeutic areas of interest; maintain regular contact with potential portfolio companies, investment bankers, venture firms, outside venture funds, industry insiders, key clinicians and academic thought leaders.
• Maintain regular communication with AKP senior management and other internal stakeholders.
Manage Specific Projects
• Manage external resources such as financial advisors, accountants, consultants, etc.
• Provide necessary action plans with market analysis in the target area.
• Understand all economic drivers in detail.
• Build the necessary financial modeling.
• Lead a cross functional team including both internal and external people to execute transaction.
• Lead negotiation teams and formulate proposed offers for potential transactions.
• Structure and lead effective and efficient due diligence process.
• Prepare and deliver presentations and associated materials required for approval of potential transactions.
• Lead and coordinate initial post-merger integration and handoff to business/functional team.
• Collaborate with key contacts in AKP, as well as other parts of AK Healthcare.
• Support BD and New Venture activities of other parts of Healthcare Business Unit on an ad hoc basis in finding, addressing, evaluating and approaching potential targets.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Leadership of cross functional, cross cultural teams.
• Capacity to lead via influence vs line authority.
• Very strong oral and written communication skills.
• A strong scientific, regulatory and industry knowledge.
• Capability to work multitask in a small, entrepreneurial environment.
• Capable of carrying out assigned functions independently in an expeditions and thoughtful manner.
• Excellent critical thinking skills: A capability to make quantitative and qualitative assessments.
• Capacity to work in a global environment; capability to bridge and interpret multiple cultures.
• Excellent command of MS Excel and MS PowerPoint
• Strong professional network in pharma, Biopharma and biotech industry
Required / Preferred Experience and Qualification:
• Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, related science or Economics, Finance or Marketing Degree required. MBA or other advanced Science or Medical degree preferred.
• At least 10 years’ direct experience of M&A, corporate business development or investment banking in pharmaceutical / biotech industrial field.
• In-depth knowledge and experience of due diligence and valuation techniques.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
ZOLL Medical Corporation appreciates and values diversity. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.