Genelab Scientific Laboratory Technician
The Bionetics Corporation is seeking a Genelab Scientific Laboratory Technician to join our team at the NASA AMES Research Center in Mountain View, California.
The Genelab Scientific Laboratory Technician will be responsible for processing biological samples from various model organisms to extract, purify and archive RNA and DNA, perform sample quantification, make next generation sequencing libraries using an automated automation platform, and perform RNA and DNA sequencing. This position may carry out sampling, testing, measuring, recording and analysis of results as part of a scientific team. Responsible for providing all the required technical support to enable the laboratory to function effectively, while adhering to correct procedures and health and safety guidelines.
- Bachelor’s Degree of Science or Engineering in molecular biology, bio-chemistry, bio-engineering or related fields.
- Two (2) years’ laboratory experience, ideally with some exposure to molecular biology and omics technologies.
- Must have experience with sample and data management and analysis, ideally with experience in analyzing next generation sequence data. Bioinformatics or data curation experience highly desired.
- Strong attention to detail highly desirable.
- Knowledge of computer operating systems and common applications to include Microsoft Office required.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to work independently with minimal guidance while consistently exercising good judgment required.
- Must possess good organizational and prioritizing skills.
- Good interpersonal and English communication skills essential. Must possess the ability to use the English language for reading and writing/producing written English work.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Status.
- Must be eligible for or have successfully completed a National Agency Check investigation for a “NASA Clearance” within the last ten (10) years.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Reproducibly follow established procedures as well as troubleshoot experiments as necessary.
- Performs molecular biology work in pre-PCR and post-PCR lab environment while adhering to safety guidelines, including:
- Nucleic acid isolation from tissues, bacterial and mammalian cells
- Quantitation, quality checks and normalization of nucleic acids: manually and utilizing automation
- Perform library preparation and QC for Next Gen Sequencing, manually and utilizing automation
- Perform assays, cell culturing, PCR and other molecular biology techniques on a need basis.
- Use good hands-on laboratory skills and follow proper aseptic techniques
- Develop, validate and apply new protocols and workflows to increase robustness, time efficiency and cost effectiveness of the lab.
- Accurately and consistently record experiment details, materials, results and conclusions using lab notebook and currently established methods.
- Present findings and convey comprehensive project status reviews using technical reports and presentations.
- Establish good sample tracking (LIMS) system and manage metadata information relevant to the samples/extracts/libraries
- Support lab maintenance tasks:
- Responsible for calibration and preventative maintenance of assigned equipment
- Keep inventory and place purchase orders for common lab consumables
- Train outside users on shared resource equipment
- Other related assignments and duties, as required.
Often-seeing, hearing, fingering, grasping, feeling, standing, walking, climbing, stooping, kneeling, lifting, pulling, pushing, speaking
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
Bionetics offers competitive wages and benefits to include medical, dental, vision, 401k, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, life and disability insurance, etc.
Qualified candidates should submit their resumes with salary requirements to:
Fax: (757) 952-3700 Attn: S. Hayes
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Employability in the U.S. only
Pre-employment drug screen required