Medical Science Liaison
Alder Biopharmaceuticals and Scientific Commercialization, LLC have partnered to provide a unique opportunity for leading edge Medical Affairs professionals. In this partnership, Scientific Commercialization (SC) is seeking to directly hire several Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs). These MSLs will be employed by SC, but directly assigned to support Alder Biopharmaceuticals migraine medical affairs team. This fulltime employment opportunity with SC will continue for approximately 10 months, at which time the MSL is expected to transition to full time employment with Alder.
SC is providing a robust blend of highly competitive compensation and benefits to the right candidate. The total remuneration package will be fully commensurate with experience as an MSL or a Senior MSL.
Geographic locations we’re looking to recruit are: New York/New Jersey, Pennsylvania/Maryland (northern mid-Atlantic towards the Northeast); and the Twin Cities/MN.
Scientific Commercialization, LLC
Scientific Commercialization, founded in 2002, provides innovative consulting and analytic software services to Medical Affairs and other functions within Life Sciences and Biotechnology industries. SC’s core competencies include Strategy, Business Intelligence, Organizational Design, Process Optimization, Performance Management, Technology Selection and Implementation and Staff Augmentation. Fifteen years later, SC is focused on two primary offerings: Strategic Advisory services to Medical Affairs leadership teams, and Business Intelligence solutions to drive evidence-based decision-making.
Alder BioPharmaceuticals, Inc.
Incorporated in 2004, Alder BioPharmaceuticals, Inc., is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and seeks to commercialize genetically engineered therapeutic antibodies with the potential to meaningfully transform current treatment paradigms.
Alder’s lead pivotal-stage product candidate, eptinezumab, is being evaluated for migraine prevention. Eptinezumab is a monoclonal antibody that inhibits calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP), a protein that is active in mediating the pathophysiology of migraine.
Alder is additionally evaluating ALD1910, a preclinical product candidate also in development as a migraine prevention therapy. ALD1910 is a monoclonal antibody that inhibits pituitary adenylate cyclase-activating polypeptide-38 (PACAP-38), another protein that is active in mediating the initiation of migraine.
Clazakizumab, Alder’s third program, is a monoclonal antibody candidate that inhibits interleukin-6 and is licensed to Vitaeris, Inc.
Alder (NASDAQ: ALDR) had their IPO in May, 2014. They are headquartered in Bothell, Washington.
Alder is honored to be recognized by the Puget Sound Business Journal as one of Washington’s Best Workplaces. Additionally, Alder was also selected by their employees as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in the Washington.
The MSL Role
The Medical Science Liaison is responsible for conducting medical/scientific interactions with designated Alder BioPharmaceuticals stakeholders (e.g., Key Opinion Leaders, Payers) and for supporting internal activities related to medical communications, medical information and clinical research in preparation for launch and beyond. This position reports into Medical Affairs and will be based in field locations. An appropriate amount of business travel can be expected.
The Ideal Candidate
The Medical Science Liaison will need to be a confident leader who, in addition to exceptional academic and clinical experience and expertise, has the background, experience, desire and curiosity to work closely with medical providers and payers, as well as Alder’s R&D team, to deliver superior services to the provider and payer community.
Additionally, the ideal candidate will have:
- Strong customer focus and ability to build effective business relationships;
- Strong business acumen with the ability to communicate scientific information and health outcomes data with healthcare professionals and payer organizations;
- Very strong familiarity with field-based medical affairs activities including: ability to work independently, adherence to regulatory guidance and policies to maintain compliant interactions with Healthcare Professionals.
The leadership style, skills and abilities of the ideal candidate will include:
- A managerial style which supports innovation and can participate fully in the challenges of new decisions, approaches, policies and procedures.
- An analytical proficiency which demonstrates competent professionalism and expertise, identifies and utilizes resources effectively, and is accountable for outcomes.
- Serving the team as a results driver, with the ability to be a “doer” as well as a manager, demonstrating an understanding and commitment to a “no task to big or too small” working environment.
- Leading as a highly effective communicator, with excellent verbal, written and platform skills.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Builds and maintains relationships with designated Alder stakeholders, e.g., Key Opinion Leaders, Investigators, Payers;
- Conducts effective and compliant interactions with external stakeholders on disease state, Alder products and development programs;
- Identifies and communicates medical/scientific insights and trends that are relevant to Alder and its stakeholders, (e.g., the competitive landscape, unmet needs of investigators, researchers, physicians);
- Participates in relevant medical congresses and other related events;
- Supports interactions with investigators and potential investigators in conjunction with ongoing and planned clinical trials;
- Provides balanced and accurate information to top regional formulary decision makers and P&T committee members in conjunction with the market access team per Field Medical Lead;
- Follows agreed-upon processes for effective, compliant, medically-sound information tools and resources to support the safe and effective use of company-marketed products;
- Ensures compliance with corporate policies and procedures, as well as, US healthcare laws and regulations;
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Neurology/Migraine experience and ability to use existing KOL relationships is strongly preferred;
- Extensive experience in monoclonal antibodies will be considered in lieu of direct neurology/migraine experience;
- Minimum 2-4 years of relevant experience in the biopharmaceutical industry;
- Knowledge of regulatory, compliance, commercial, and clinical issues affecting the pharmaceutical and managed care industries;
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively present scientific information and influence others to achieve desired results, as well as, the ability to present within external formats, such as physician ad boards, medical congresses, etc.;
- Ability to travel 60%+ (based on geography/region);
- Successful experience in fast-paced entrepreneurial environment;
- Strong fit with Alder’s culture and values;
- Possession of a valid state Driver’s License is required.
- MD, PharmD, or PhD in a scientific discipline required.
- An undergraduate degree in business, or economics would be helpful.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for the MSL position is fully competitive with the industry, and will be appropriate depending on experience, education, location, and specific role undertaken.
MSL’s will be eligible for an array of benefits, which includes health benefits, 401k, paid holidays, sick leave, and paid time-off. Company provided laptops/tablets will be issued. The MSL will be hired by SC, with a benefits package similar to Alder’s. When transitioned to Alder, the MSL will be placed into Alder’s then-existing benefits package.
Application Requirements and Details
As a part of SC’s selection process, candidates will be required to take a drug and alcohol screening test, reference checks, and a general background check, to include clearance from the Office of the Inspector General. Candidates can expect a multi-step selection process which will include both structured interviews, as well as discussions to assess clinical expertise and knowledge.
As indicated, it is anticipated that the SC MSL will transition from being an SC employee to being an Alder employee after approximately 10 months with SC.
Please email a cover letter of interest and current resume to SC Human Resources.