Scientist – Biochemistry
Molecular Assemblies, Inc. is a San Diego-based company developing a revolutionary, enzymatic DNA synthesis technology capable of powering new products in industrial synthetic biology, personalized therapeutics, precision diagnostics, and eventually information storage, nanotechnology and more.
Molecular Assemblies is seeking a motivated Scientist to join our team.
- Understand biochemistry of DNA and RNA polymerases towards achieving high fidelity template independent synthesis of nucleic acids
- Independently design, execute, and critically analyze biochemical and biophysical experiments for studies of polymerases
- Generate milestone data demonstrating feasibility of template independent enzymatic synthesis of nucleic acid
- Interface with chemistry and protein engineering groups at MAI to develop a prototype of template independent nucleic acid synthesis on solid phase
- Analyze a variety of nucleotide analogs, generated by the chemistry group, for enzymatic synthesis of DNA/RNA and propose design of new analogs based on data
- Develop novel assays for nucleic acid analysis and polymerases
- Systematically document experiments and clearly present the findings to the peers and management
Required Experience & Skills
- Expertise in in-vitro biochemistry and enzymology/kinetics
- Expertise in biochemistry of nucleic acids, nucleic acid modifying enzymes, DNA/RNA polymerases
- Expertise in a wide variety of enzymatic assays employing fluorescence, UV-Vis spectroscopy, electrophoretic and chromatographic methods and other techniques
- Experience in analytical methods for molecular characterization of nucleic acids, and in next-generation sequencing
- Well organized, self-motivated, hardworking, creative and critical scientist
Desired Experience & Skills:
- Experience in capillary electrophoresis, chromatography, FPLC, LC-MS, Biacore and other binding methods and various other analytical methods
- Familiarity with solid-phase synthesis of nucleic acid and massively parallel array-based synthesis will be a plus
Requires a Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Molecular Biology, Bioengineering, Physics, Chemical Engineering, or a related field of study.