Research Scientist Custom Synthesis
The Chemical Technologies team is seeking a synthetic organic chemist to join the Custom Synthesis Team at our Boston research facility. The successful candidate will possess a strong foundation in modern methods of synthetic organic chemistry and an interest in developing and applying creative problem-solving skills to delivery of synthetic targets, in support of drug discovery. This individual will be responsible for synthesis of a wide variety of synthetic targets, where appropriate will apply modern synthetic and analytical methods and develop effective and productive working relationships with medicinal chemists and drug discovery project teams.
Key responsibilities include:
- Synthesis of molecular targets in support of drug discovery programs
- Analysis and trouble-shooting of synthetic problems
- Developing robust synthetic schemes in support of compound delivery
- Working at scales of up to 30 L reactors
- Operating laboratory synthesis and analytical instrumentation
- Consulting with medicinal chemists to develop optimal solutions in accord with project goals
- Understanding of the drug discovery and medicinal chemistry process
- Active participation in discussions in chemistry team meetings
- Presentation of results to chemistry and project teams
- PhD (or equivalent degree) in Organic or Medicinal Chemistry, with 0-5 years of post-doctoral experience, or MS degree and 3-7 years industrial experience in a relevant setting
- Experience in chemical synthesis at scales of up to several kg
- Experience with laboratory instrumentation
- Background in compound scale-up or in a chemical development or process chemistry environment
- Awareness of chemical process development
- Ability to multi-task and deliver on multiple projects and targets simultaneously
- Track record evidenced by a strong publication or patent record
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation to create transformative medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. We discovered and developed the first medicines to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis (CF), a rare, life-threatening genetic disease. In addition to clinical development programs in CF, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs focused on the underlying mechanisms of other serious diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and offices around the world. For several consecutive years, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.