Associate Research Scientist I, Automation Biologist
We are seeking an automation Biologist to join the Discovery Protein Science group in the Molecular Discovery Technologies (MDT) department at our new state-of-the-art facility in Cambridge, MA. The qualified candidate will be responsible for operation of an integrated automation robot to perform small scale, high-throughput mammalian protein expression and purification playing a major role in support of the Antibody Discovery efforts at BMS and will have an opportunity to impact the development of new automation capabilities within the group.The Discovery Protein Science group supports programs across all BMS therapeutic areas including Immuno-oncology (I/O), Immunoscience, Cardiovascular, and Fibrosis. Group activities comprise of protein expression, purification and characterization making use of high throughput methods and automation to enhance productivity where possible.
- Effectively utilize an integrated robotic system to perform mammalian transient transfections and protein purification in a plate based setting.
- Mammalian cell culture including routine maintenance of HEK cell lines
- Antibody purification and quantitation
- Perform simple error recovery and maintenance of the integrated system. More complex error recovery and maintenance may be required with the support of vendor field technicians and BMS Automation Engineers.
- Assist in executing automation method development experiments for protein expression and purification as well as DNA purification and PCR.
- Ensure accurate registration of protein lots and associated data into LIMS.
- Maintain a complete and current Electronic Laboratory Notebook.
- Collaborate in multi-disciplinary drug discovery teams, communicate results both written and verbally with matrixed working group.
- Candidate should have a B.S. in Biology, Engineering or a related field with at least 2 years of relevant experience in an industry setting.
- Hands-on experience with liquid handlers and a strong desire to operate and develop integrated automation systems is required. Experience with integrated system operation and/or scheduling software (Sami, Cellario or other) would be an advantage.
- Experience with Mammalian cell culture and aseptic technique is required.
- Experience with LIMS and ELN is highly desirable.
- Excellent time management skills and a demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills along with a sense of urgency and ability to work under tight deadlines.