Research Scientist - Oncology
Benitec Biopharma is currently seeking a highly motivated and creative Research Scientist to take a leading role in the pre-clinical development of immunologic gene therapies for Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma (HNSCC) and other oncology indications. Benitec Biopharma is a rapidly growing biotech company headquartered in Sydney, Australia, with research laboratories located in the Britannia Point Eden Business Park in Hayward, CA. Benitec is focused on the development of novel human therapeutics combining RNA interference (RNAi) with gene therapy. We recently announced a major strategic alliance with Axovant Sciences, licensing our lead program for the rare genetic disease Oculopharyngeal Muscular Dystrophy (OPMD) and initiating development of several additional programs. More information on the company can be found at www.benitec.com.
The candidate will be responsible for developing novel gene therapies to express immune-modulatory agents that can enhance the potency of RNAi-based inhibition of key drivers of tumor growth. He/she is required to have significant expertise in tumor immunology, especially in the role of cytokines in stimulating anti-tumor immunity and alleviating immuno-suppression associated with the tumor microenvironment. Experience with rodent models for the evaluation of immuno-oncology therapeutics, such as syngeneic or humanized mouse models, is strongly preferred. The candidate is expected to have the vision and ability to grow into a leader in this therapeutic area and contribute deep scientific and analytical insight broadly across the organization.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
The candidate must think critically and creatively and work independently. We highly value candidates with a collaborative and collegial work ethic, with the ability to deliver results in a dynamic and fast-paced team environment. The candidate should exhibit excellent organizational skills and be proficient in both data management and the preparation of summary reports. The candidate should be able to present clear and concise data summaries in group and team meetings.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Ph.D. in Immunology, Cell and Molecular Biology, or other biological sciences with 0-2 years of post-doctoral experience in academia or industry.
- First-hand experience in tumor immunology is essential.
- Proficiency in functional immune cell-based assays (e.g. T-cell activation) and multi-color flow cytometry
- Mastery of molecular cloning, DNA and RNA assays (qPCR, RT-qPCR), protein immunoassay technologies (ELISAs, Western Blots).
- Experience with in vivo models of cancer therapeutics is preferred
- Experience with viral vectors used in gene therapy (AAV) desired
- Prior experience with designing, conducting and coordinating experiments externally with CROs is desired.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills are required
- Must be able to multi-task and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong motivation, attention to detail, and ability to fully integrate into a high achieving team environment
- A dynamic and highly collaborative working environment
- Comprehensive benefit package available, including health, dental, vision, and 401K.
- Job title and compensation will be based on candidate experience.
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention job code RS_Onc_1018 in the subject line of your application. Please do not contact us directly about the progress of your application.