Research Scientist I in Gene Therapy
Benitec is currently seeking a highly-motivated candidate to fill a Research Scientist I position in Gene Therapy. Benitec is a rapidly growing biotech company headquartered in Sydney, Australia, with research laboratories located in the Britannia Point Eden Business Park in Hayward, CA. Benitec is focused on the development of novel human therapeutics based upon RNA interference (RNAi). We recently announced a major strategic alliance with Axovant Sciences to initiate development of several neurological disease related programs including Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). More information on the company can be found at www.benitec.com.
- Design and generate shRNA/miRNA constructs against target genes
- Design and generate transgene constructs for gene replacement therapy
- Design and clone gene therapy based clinical constructs
- Develop and qualify assays (qPCR assays, protein based assays and cell based assays) for drug product evaluation in vitro and in vivo
- Design and perform experiments for characterizing drug product independently
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
The candidate must think critically and creatively, work independently, and determine appropriate resources for resolution of problems to achieve results. The candidate should organize experimental details and be proficient in both data management and the preparation of summary reports. Excellent organizational and data management skills are expected, with excellent verbal and written communication skills. The candidate should be able to present clear and concise data summaries in group and team meetings
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
Ph.D. in biological sciences with 0-2 years of post-doctoral experience.
- First hand experience in gene therapy and/or RNAi is essential
- Mammalian cell culture experience required
- Direct experience designing and conducting luciferase reporter assays
- Proficiency in DNA and RNA assays (qPCR, RT-qPCR, Northern Blots), molecular cloning, protein immunoassay technologies (ELISAs, Western Blots).
- Virus (AAV and Adenovirus) experience desired
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills are required
- Must be able to multi-task, manage multiple projects simultaneously and work effectively within a team environment
- Strong motivation, attention to detail, ability to think independently and fully integrate into a high achieving team environment
- A dynamic and highly collaborative working environment
- Comprehensive benefit package available, including health, dental, vision, and 401K.
Job title and compensation will be based on candidate experience.