Research Scientist II, Fibrosis
Job Title: Research Scientist II: Fibrosis
Job Type: Regular, Full-Time
Location: Foster City, CA
We are seeking a highly talented and motivated scientist to join the Fibrosis Biology group at Gilead. The successful candidate will play a key role in the discovery and development of innovative therapies for the treatment of chronic metabolic and fibrotic diseases, including non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). The candidate will have high-impact participation in discovery and translational research aimed at identifying novel therapeutic targets, defining mechanism of action, and supporting clinical development.
Gilead Sciences is a world leader in liver disease having developed small molecule compounds that have revolutionized the treatment of viral hepatitis. Gilead has broadened its research scope to encompass unmet medical needs in chronic metabolic and fibrotic disease and has developed a pipeline of investigational compounds currently in late-stage clinical trials for NASH. The candidate will join an established research team committed to the discovery and development of novel small molecule and antibody therapeutics to treat NASH and liver fibrosis.
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will work in a collaborative project team-based research structure to lead or support biological investigations of new and established projects. The candidate will be expected to significantly lead discovery efforts for fibrosis targets including defining and implementing critical path studies needed to support hypothesis-based research. These include human target validation, cell-based assays, and in vivo pharmacology using preclinical models of NASH/fibrosis. The candidate will manage these research activities across multiple project teams and will also oversee and/or directly manage new and established external collaborations with contract research labs and academic partners.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
• Applicants must have a PhD or equivalent degree and at least 3+ years of directly relevant biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience.
• Expertise in fibrosis and/or metabolic disease with a strong track record of scientific accomplishments, demonstrated by peer-reviewed scientific publications in well recognized journals and/or by advancement of drug candidates in these fields
• Direct expertise in identifying and validating molecular targets that contribute to the pathophysiology of NASH. This should include an understanding of molecular pathways that contribute to metabolic dysfunction, inflammation and liver fibrosis and in applying both cell-based and in vivo models assays to interrogate drug targets
• Demonstrable experience of working in a project team environment to advance projects from early stage discovery through to clinical development
• In depth understanding of target discovery and validation approaches, drug development, and generation of pharmacology regulatory reports
• Broad experience in target identification strategies through use of genomics, tissue-based analysis and transcriptomics/proteomics, and/or phenotypic screening
• Fluent in the use of molecular techniques to evaluate signaling networks (western blot, ELISA, proteomics), gene expression analysis (RT-PCR, Nanostring, RNA-seq)
• Working knowledge of functional genomics with experience applying human transcriptomic data to enable target discovery and validation
• Strong written and oral communication skills, with an ability to communicate and scientifically engage individuals across a large breadth of levels
• Experience in managing direct reports to meet goals within defined timelines
• Highly flexible, independent self-starter who enjoys working in a fast paced, dynamic research environment
To apply, please visit: http://apptrkr.com/1310632