Head, Statistical Programming & Technologies
Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global biopharmaceutical company whose mission is to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases.
One shared journey is moving us forward at Bristol-Myers Squibb. Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious disease. Empowered to apply our individual talents and ideas so that we can learn and grow together. Driven to make a difference, from innovative research to hands-on community support. Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
The Head of the Statistical Programming group is a member of the GBS Leadership Team and the GDMA Extended Leadership Team. As such, this position has accountabilities for the sustained health, growth and continuous improvement of the GBS organization, inclusive of developing effective partnerships with critical stakeholders across R&D. This role contributes to setting the strategic directions of GBS and focuses on building the organization through leading the acquisition, development and retention of talent, driving technical and process excellence within the statistical programming group and ensuring compliance with regulatory, corporate and departmental requirements and policies. This position is responsible for managing statistical programmers that populate teams across the entire R&D portfolio - spanning all therapeutic areas and phases of development. This person will advise the GBS Leadership Team on emerging technologies and standards and oversee the development and implementation of technologies that impact analysis and reporting work. This position has significant interfaces with the GBS Planning & Business Operations group, Global Development Informatics and with other cross-functional leaders in BMS. This person reports to the Vice President of GBS and has direct supervisory responsibilities for all Statistical Programming Managers.
- Drives functional excellence within the statistical programming discipline by establishing and communicating standards for performance, actively contributing to the community of practice and effective talent management, with the support of the Statistical Programming Managers
- Provides programming, process/technology development and implementation and clinical trial expertise and regulatory experience to the R&D organization
- Provides leadership for ensuring quality in all GBS statistical programming work
- Serves as a member of the GBS Leadership Team. Drives the development and execution of GBS Strategic Plan and is accountable for its successful implementation.
- Translates company and departmental strategies into operational goals and objectives. Identifies necessary resources to accomplish goals and develops effective and strategic staffing solutions to manage resources, in accordance with R&D priorities/timelines/strategies
- Effectively recruits, manages, develops, evaluates, rewards and retains direct reports, resulting in an increasing level of capabilities for the GBS organization
- Reinforces the BMS commitment to leadership and development by providing or facilitating training and experiential opportunities, and continuous coaching and feedback throughout the statistical programming organization
- Leads or contributes to the development of innovative processes, including the implementation of associated technologies, that ensure the efficient delivery of high quality and timely statistical analyses
- Advises the GBS Leadership Team with regards to emerging technologies, standards and practices and their potential impact on R&D work practices and regulatory submissions
- Effectively partners with internal GBS and external stakeholders and provides leadership to statistical programming community for stakeholder management and transparent communication to ensure effective partnerships across development teams
- Serves as GBS liaison to Global Development Informatics and as a departmental representative on committees and initiatives within R&D, as needed
- Effectively communicates the GBS Mission and Vision in a fashion that generates pride, excitement and commitment within GBS
As a member of the GBS Leadership team, the Head of Statistical Programming actively contributes to setting the strategic directions of the GBS organization. This position is accountable for developing and maintaining a culture of excellence within the statistical programming discipline. By establishing and maintaining a high calibre workforce with clear standards of performance and consistent practices across teams, this role will enable increased efficiencies, flexibility in resourcing and, ultimately, high quality, compliant and timely deliverables that support critical decision making throughout the development process. In an evolving environment, this person will have a critical role in leading and managing change within GBS, as well as, the broader R&D organization and a key role in stakeholder management both within and external to BMS.
BMS Core Behaviors:
- Leads Strategically
- Drives Performance
- Embraces Teamwork
- Communicates Directly
- Develops and Energizes People
- GBS Leadership Success Factors:
- Leading and Managing Change
- Influence and Impact Relationships
- Decision Making
- Building a Learning Environment
- Emotional Intelligence
- Managing and Developing Performance
Note: Refer to "GBS Success Factors - Behavioral Indicators" for detailed definitions and descriptions of the GBS leadership success factors.
- Graduate degree in statistics, biostatistics, mathematics, computer science or equivalent experience preferred
- Minimum of 12 years clinical/statistical programming experience within pharmaceutical clinical development
- Minimum 7 years experience in managing technical professionals in a regulated environment
- Minimum 5 years experience in managing managers of people
- Expert knowledge in programming and developing computing strategies for statistical analysis and reporting
- Significant knowledge of the drug development process, clinical trial methodology, statistics and relevant regulatory requirements for drug approval
- Demonstrated ability to operate and lead in a matrix organization, building successful working relationships and effective stakeholder management in an environment with multiple lines of authority and competing needs
- Significant experience in evaluation of vendors and technologies
- Demonstrated ability to interact successfully with senior business partners both internal and external to BMS
- Ability to be flexible and adapt quickly to the changing needs of the organization
- Ability to organize multiple work assignments and establish priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with the ability to tailor messages to key stakeholders for effective impact and influence
Lead a team of 80 permanent employees and contractors.
Manage 6 Managers of Programmers
Primary interface to Informatics
Responsible for Global Programming Standards