Scientist - Microbial Engineer
Synthorx is a pharmaceuticals company that is developing a revolutionary synthetic biology technology for creating recombinant protein-based therapies with novel chemistries. Using this platform technology, we are creating designer biologic therapeutics for immune oncology, auto-immune disorders, and other areas of high unmet medical need. We are seeking a dynamic, highly dedicated and rigorous scientist to join our team to help design and build the next-generation of our platform technology, an engineered E. coli strain that can use synthetic, non-Watson/Crick DNA base pairs to create new codons. The ideal candidate will bring extensive experience in the physiology and engineering of prokaryotic organisms to improve protein expression and imbue microbial strains with novel functions. More information on our science and teams is available at our website:
To apply for this position, please include both a resume and cover letter describing your experience, interests and any other information that you would consider relevant.
Target scientific disciplines: molecular biology, biochemistry and microbiology (example skills include strain engineering, advanced DNA assembly, protein engineering & chemistry, bioconjugation and enzymology).
Job duties include but are not limited to:
Design, plan and perform microbiology and molecular biology experiments, analyze and evaluate data, and write associated reports. Investigate the feasibility of applying a wide range of scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions and/or products. The ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to effectively work within a highly collaborative environment with other scientific members of the team and make individual contributions of high impact to our technology platform and projects.
- Ph.D. in bioengineering, microbiology, molecular biology, or a closely related field, and a minimum of 3 years of post-graduate experience in industry or academia. Proven expertise with engineering of E. coli is strongly preferred. Additional experience with other industrially-relevant prokaryotes and/or eukaryotes and microbial metabolism is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and practical experience in the following areas is particularly advantageous:
- Bacterial physiology, including DNA replication/repair, transcription and translation
- Genome engineering of prokaryotic systems using CRISPR/Cas9, recombineering, etc.
- Command of and extensive experience in diverse DNA assembly methods
- Deep experience and practical knowledge of bacterial genetics (screens/selections) and microbiology
- Extensive experience in protein chemistry and recombinant protein expression in microbial hosts
- Familiarity with cutting-edge synthetic biology technologies & methods
- Deep understanding of microbial physiology, metabolism
- Experience with orthogonal translation systems. Hands-on knowledge of amber suppression is a plus
- We seek a highly creative and innovative scientist with a drive to create and translate new ideas into practical advances
- Self-motivated and independent, but demonstrated ability to coordinate and work well as part of a research team
- Ability to work well in sight of aggressive timelines and excellence in multitasking
The Company provides competitive salaries and benefits.
The Company is thoroughly committed both to providing equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees, and to providing a work environment that is free from harassment, discrimination and retaliation. It is the policy of Company to hire, employ, train, retain, promote, demote, compensate, discipline, terminate and otherwise treat all employees and job applicants on the basis of merit, qualifications and competence, and without regard to sex, sexual orientation or preference, gender, gender identity, race, color, religion, national origin, creed, citizenship status, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, medical condition including genetic characteristics, mental or physical disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.