Senior Datacenter/Cloud Engineer
Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer.
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer.
General Position Summary/Purpose:
Reporting to Associate Director of IT Infrastructure Engineering, the Senior Datacenter/Cloud Engineer role is to provide hands-on technology leadership in the planning, engineering, architecture, deployment, and management of on premise, datacenter and cloud infrastructure. The Senior Datacenter/Cloud Engineer is responsible for leading the creation of a technology framework and providing technical expertise in support of PCYC's initiatives in datacenter virtualization, VDI, cloud computing, automation and orchestration with a focus on the design and implementation of systems and services in our datacenter and cloud platforms. He/She will work as part of a high-caliber team of experienced IT professionals, to ensure uptime, availability, and performance SLAs are met in an environment that is constantly evolving and expanding. Additionally, the Senior Datacenter/Cloud Engineer will be responsible for ensuring that critical infrastructure is designed and optimized for high availability and disaster recovery. This hands-on role will be interfacing directly with on-premise and datacenter infrastructures as well as public, private, and hybrid cloud infrastructures including AWS, Azure, and O365.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science or closely related subject; an advanced degree is preferred. Microsoft and AWS certifications are a plus. In addition, 10+ years' experience in designing and implementing datacenter/cloud IT projects in large organizations, preferably Life sciences is required. The position requires strong hands-on, leadership and team-building skills, and must be able to collaborate effectively with a group of high performing individuals.
Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
- Work independently with limited supervision to monitor and maintain the integrity and security for datacenter and cloud infrastructure.
- Be a key subject matter expert and hands-on technical lead to design and deliver datacenter/cloud projects, upgrades, and infrastructure enhancements.
- Provide advanced engineering support for Active Directory, O365 platform (Exchange Online, SharePoint, Skype and other O365 enterprise applications) utilizing SSCM and other tools.
- Provide advanced engineering support for virtualization - Citrix VDI, VMware and orchestration of Windows Server and Linux to the cloud.
- Provide advanced engineering support for Big Data, Analytics platforms, relational and non-relational databases - Hadoop, YARN, Cassandra and other distributed processing cluster computing, Amazon RDS, SQL Server, Oracle, Dynamo DB, Azure DB, etc.
- Provide advanced engineering support to operations teams for complex datacenter/cloud issues.
- Provide advanced engineering support SaaS platforms as needed by key business partners.
- Develop solutions architecture and evaluate architectural alternatives for campus, datacenter, private, public and hybrid cloud models, including SaaS, PaaS, IaaS.
- Define optimal design patterns and solutions for high availability and disaster recovery for applications.
- Deliver solutions to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of datacenter/cloud services.
- Monitor and maintain system stability, business continuity, backup processes, automation, orchestration and staying abreast of patches.
- Adhere to procedures in accordance with incident, problem, configuration, and change management and maintain compliance and audit readiness.
- Monitor and maintain datacenter/cloud infrastructure including Servers, Network and Storage systems on a daily basis.
- Identify requirements, configure tools, implement scripts, and test these deliverables to improve provisioning, configuration, deployment and administration of customer applications and infrastructure.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to architect, build and deploy cloud/datacenter infrastructure.
- Create streamlined workflows and processes for enterprise's infrastructure and deployment needs.
- Create knowledge articles and documentation to help internal teams understand and leverage the implemented workflows and processes.
- Troubleshoot and remediate advanced failures - Fault detection, isolation, resolution and root cause analysis.
- Participate in structured and documented post-change system testing, enhancing tests as needed when functionality is added.
- Maintain infrastructure in a qualified state.
- Assist in code promotion and software upgrades utilizing established change control procedure.
- Explore new technologies to improve efficiency and maximize performance and
- Work with vendors for procurement of equipment and lead implementation.
- Work with vendors to diagnose and resolve unusually complex network device software and hardware problems.
- Troubleshoot operational issues related to the datacenter/cloud infrastructure and the network.
- Evaluate commercial and open-source tools to improve efficiency.
- Deliver performance analysis and optimization of infrastructure as well as capacity planning.
- Contribute to a positive, supportive team and company culture.
- Maintain overall industry knowledge on latest trends, technology, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field is required.
- A minimum of 10+ years of experience in Datacenter/Cloud Engineering.
- Deep knowledge and proficiency with datacenter infrastructure hardware and software components for compute, network, and storage architecture.
- Deep knowledge and ability to implement and troubleshoot cloud environments - AWS, Azure, O365 (Exchange Online, SharePoint, Skype)
- Deep expertise Active Directory, SSCM, Citrix Xenapp, Netscaler and Xendesktop, VMware.
- Excellent project management, interpersonal and organizational skills, with the ability to drive and implement ideas in a changing environment.
- Experience with Cloud Disaster Recovery - Veeam
- Unified storage experience in both cloud and on-premise deployments.
- Strong experience working with Windows/Unix/Linux systems.
- Monitoring using Cloud Watch, Pulseways, Solarwinds, Splunk or similar service is a plus.
- Automation and Orchestration using Ansible and SSCM is a plus.
- Related Microsoft certifications, such as MCSA, MCSE, MCSD for O365, Infrastructure, Windows Server, and Azure are plus.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate or Professional are a plus.
- Other related certifications are also a plus.
- The individual must be a self-driven, motivated senior IT engineer with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and leadership/good executive presence.
- Can work autonomously, a team player and possess the ability to interact and interface with all levels.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written); effective in interaction with other teams.
- Must be a self-starter and have excellent judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure but most importantly can plan and execute complex projects resulting in a successful implementation with minimal / zero downtime impact.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and tasks.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled