Associate Scientist, In Vivo Pharmacology and Toxicology
The Preclinical Development group works with bluebird bio's discovery platforms and translational research teams to generate the hypotheses, mechanism-of-action, and efficacy data that fuel the bluebird pipeline. We also work with our clinical and regulatory teams to generate the toxicology and biodistribution data that is critical to translating each of bluebird's innovative therapies safely from research into patients. In doing so, we continuously strive towards our mission to be the biotech world's best preclinical development organization for immunotherapy and gene therapy. Our valued associates experience room to grow their careers, a supportive, flexible and collaborative work environment, and respect for a diversity of experiences and perspectives.
- Establish xenogeneic mouse tumor models and murine stem cell engraftment models.
- Perform routine injections (sc, ip, iv) in mice, monitor animal health, collect blood samples, measure tumors, perform necropsies and collect and record data.
- Culture human cancer lines in vitro for xenograft studies.
- Assist with the development of new animal models, including pilot studies and trouble-shooting.
- Assist with routine cell culture and maintain tumor cell lines used in the xenograft models.
- BA/BS or MS with 1-3 years' experience in the Biotechnology or Pharmaceutical industry.
- Experience with in vivo animal studies required, including animal handling, performing routine injections, necropsy, collection of blood and tissues
- Expertise at murine intravenous injections preferred
- Tissue culture experience is desirable
- "Do what it takes" attitude
- Excellent organizational skills and proficient to multi-task in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Experience maintaining a laboratory notebook and following protocols, familiarity with programs such as Excel and Prism for data entry and analysis
- Team player with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Independently motivated, detail oriented and good problem-solving ability
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself