Life Sciences Research Associate I
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Life Sciences Research Associate position in Butcher Laboratory http://butcherlab.stanford.edu/, part of the VA Palo Alto Healthcare System and Stanford University, will work with the Principal Investigator (PI), Eugene Butcher, M.D., lab manager and associated staff to ensure the seamless operation of the lab.
In addition to keeping the lab organized and compliant with safety regulations, the Research Associate will help postdoctoral fellows and other staff members with in vitro molecular and cell biology procedures, as well as in vivo rodent procedures to achieve the lab’s research goals. In a broad sense, the scientific focus of the lab is to explore mechanisms of cancer immunotherapy, autoimmune disease, and mucosal immune responses.
This is a regular, full time (40 hrs/wk), exempt position. Benefits:
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- Life Insurance - paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance - paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance - paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Perform sterile tissue culture of numerous hybridomas and other cell lines
- Produce monoclonal antibodies and mammalian proteins from large scale preparations
- Contribute to the generation of new antibodies against novel targets
- Perform in vitro cell-based assays (immune cell function assays, transwell chemotaxis assays)
- Manage lab safety compliance with regulations pertaining to biosafety, prepare for inspections, remedy any deficiencies, attend safety committee meetings
- Maintain logs of weekly, monthly and bi-annual safety checks and update chemical inventory bi-annually
- Inventory lab supplies, restock individual lab rooms and order as needed
- Maintain liquid nitrogen and -80C storage space
- Contribute to the design and execution of experiments related to immune and stromal cell subset phenotype and function in cancer, autoimmune disease and mucosal immunity
- Monitor and handle research animals (rodents), perform tissue dissection and cell isolation
- Acquire experimental data via IHC/microscopy, flow cytometry and other in vitro methods
- Collaborate and communicate regularly and effectively with other lab staff and the PI to ensure project design, prioritization and coordination
- Contribute to manuscript and grant preparation
- Manage the tissue culture facility, maintain associated equipment (biosafety hoods, incubators, water baths) and prepare tissue culture reagents for common use (serums, medias, etc.)
- Autoclave glassware and other lab supplies as needed
- Assist with molecular biology techniques (i.e., PCR genotyping)
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Chemistry, or in a related field required.
Required: Two years of related experience in a wet lab setting;
Desired: Over two years of related experience in a wet lab setting.
KNOWLEDGE/ SKILLS/ ABILITIES:
- Previous experience or exposure to wet lab academic research environment;
- Knowledge of principles related to immunology, cell culture, and molecular biology;
- Knowledge of Flow cytometry and microscopy (desired);
- Previous experience working with research animals, especially rodents (desired);
- Ability to comply with proper research laboratory safety procedures and protocols;
- Good interpersonal skills in working with a diverse group of individuals that include PIs, researchers, and other lab staff;
- Ability to use logic to identify the pros and cons of an experimental process;
- Ability to read directions and follow procedures;
- Ability to troubleshoot experiments;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Lifting up to 10 lbs occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to wet lab environment, radiation, blood borne pathogens, and toxic or caustic chemical or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact our Human Resources department.
How to Apply:
Please apply online for job code ‘BUT1807.18 via our Jobs page and include your cover letter and your resume/curriculum vitae as ONE document.