Senior Associate Scientist, Cellular Process Development
Join bluebird bio's enthusiastic and collaborative team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approach. The Process and Analytical Development organization at bluebird bio encompasses lentiviral vector, gene editing, and cellular drug product processing for oncology and severe genetic diseases. The cellular process development team is responsible for developing cellular drug product processes and introducing new technologies for stem cell and T cell therapies. The focus of this position is to contribute to the development of manufacturing processes for engineered T cells. The candidate should also possess excellent communication and organizational skills, be able to work in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment, and be passionate about developing innovative cancer therapeutics that can transform patient's lives
- Develop and perform experiments involving the isolation, transduction, expansion and cryopreservation of gene modified T-cells for the treatment for hematological malignancies and other cancers
- Perform complex technical work related to T-cell biology including cell isolation, tissue culture, PCR, Flow cytometry, and other immunological assays
- Develop experimental plans, interpret scientific results, provide statistical analysis where appropriate, summarize and present scientific data and report progress on behalf of the team under the guidance of the Senior Scientists
- Assist in process characterization efforts and assist in authoring INDs
- Mentor and guide junior scientists in the design and execution of their work and careers.
- Maintain accurate and reliable record keeping including database management, batch records, notebooks, and all other pertinent documentation
- Hands-on Lab based position and requires a flexible schedule based on experimental schedule (some weekend work maybe required)
- BS/MS in Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Cell biology, Immunology or related discipline with 3-5+ years (MS) 5-7+years (BS) of related experience.
- Experience with developing or manufacturing autologous cell therapies is required
- Willingness to work with lentiviral vector and human biological samples.
- Well versed in a variety of cell-based methods with a strong understanding of tissue culture, cell biology, immunoassays, and general laboratory techniques.
- Experience with statistical design of experiment (DoE) preferred.
- Ability to manage priorities and make decisions in a fast-paced environment to make sure deliverables are achieved in a timely fashion.
- Ability to take ownership of projects and results.
- Ability to work in a team environment and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communications skills and ability to influence across multiple functions
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself