Senior Manager, Exploratory Statistics
Exploratory Statistics is part of the Data and Statistical Sciences (DSS) organization in AbbVie R&D. This group provides statistical expertise globally for various groups in drug discovery, development sciences and for biomarker & genomics studies in early to late-stage clinical trials. Examples of applications/topics supported include PD biomarker evaluations, biomarkers for clinical trials patient selection and enrichment, biomarker-based subgroup identification, in-vitro screening, in-vivo pharmacology, genomics (high-throughput mRNA expression arrays, CGH arrays, next generation sequencing, microRNA, genotype data, etc.), proteomics, and other biomarker data generated from pre-clinical and clinical studies.
Provide statistical support for development strategy for clinical or scientific research programs.
Key Responsibilities Includes :
- • Help build statistical capabilities in drug discovery & exploratory clinical/translational research by providing strategic input and leadership to analyze large and complex data sets derived from patient samples and pre-clinical models of disease. Objectives may be to support novel target identification, identifying markers of disease progression and treatment response and for patient selection or stratification in clinical trials. Sources of data will likely include Genomics (high throughput gene expression arrays, CGH arrays, next generation sequencing, microRNA, etc.), Proteomics, Imaging, and flow based cytometric assays, along with the clinical and pre-clinical pharmacology data.
• Develop and maintain good working relationships with discovery and clinical scientists, statisticians, computational biologists, and external collaborators to drive program decisions as part of a multidisciplinary team.
• Collaborate with external colleagues on consortia and other research projects relevant to biomarker discovery and evaluations.
• Maintain and expand expertise in various computing tools to leverage internal and external data sets to drive decisions. Examples of such tools include R/Bioconductor, SAS JMP Spotfire, UNIX utilities, JAVA, Perl, Python, etc. Continue development of various analysis tools to improve the process.
- Ensures consistency among protocols within a project, and provides certification for the protocol review check list. Works with project team to select an appropriate study design to meet study objectives, contributes to decisions regarding data collection instruments.
Conducts comprehensive review of protocol to ensure quality. Responsible for conducting research and identifying key parameters for sample size estimation. Independently determine appropriate statistical methodology needed in support of study objectives; develops and authors the statistical methods section of the protocol. Responsible for randomization for routine and non-routine studies. Works with
external partners, including contract research organizations, drug supply, and other groups, to effectively implement the randomization schedule as planned. Actively participates in meetings to identify scientifically appropriate data collection instruments and database design requirements (e.g., SAS, MS Access, Excel) to ensure that the data evaluated are free of bias, contain maximum information (minimum
variance), and satisfy analysis requirements. Demonstrates extended understanding of statistical concepts and methodologies. Demonstrates ability to apply statistical knowledge to solve real-world problems. Demonstrates the ability to evaluate alternative statistical approaches, to make recommendations based on sound statistical reasoning, and to influence non-statisticians to accept the analytical approach. Reviews identified or anticipated technical or data related issues arising in the design, conduct or analysis of clinical trials or other scientific research. Approves and implements alternative analysis strategies or other recommendations to address these issues. Evaluates appropriateness of available software for planned analyses and ascertains needs for potential program development of novel statistical methodology. Works with project team to develop strategy for data presentation and scientific arguments. Ensures consistency of data presentations and scientific/statistical arguments among reports within a project. Responsible for statistical methods and
relevant sections for major deliverables such as protocols, analysis plans, study reports and scientific publications. Responsible for accurate interpretation of analysis results. Responsible for high quality deliverables. Prepares oral and written reports that effectively communicate results of scientific research to the project team, AbbVie management, regulatory agencies, or individual investigators. Responsible for consistency between deliverables for the same compound and/or within same therapeutic area. Responsible for accuracy and internal consistency of report of publication, including text, tables, listings, and figures. Ensures as applicable that guidance and template format for protocol & analysis plans Works collaboratively with members of multi-function teams to complete project deliverables per agreed timelines. Keeps management informed on important scientific/statistical issues that may arise, in a timely manner. Provides responses to routine and non-routine questions from clients, and independently pursues analyses suggested by the data. Represents Data and Statistical Sciences (DSS) or Biometrics on assigned project team(s) to provide functional area input to compound/drug development. Serves as a liaison between the project team and DSS or Biometrics to ensure timely communication of project team updates, proper statistical strategies, and alignment of priorities between the project team and functional area. Maintains technical skills and increases own knowledge of new statistical methodology or areas of application through use of the scientific literature and attendance at professional meetings. Presents own statistical research or review of the Statistical literature at meetings and seminars. Demonstrates a high degree of responsibility in maintaining Statistics / Biometrics department standards, GxP compliance, and best operating practices.
- MS or PhD in Statistics, Biostatistics or a highly related field.
- At least 4-6 years (PhD) or 8-10 years (MS) of experience in pharmaceutical
development and applied statistics/statistical consulting required.
- statistical modeling and inferential statistics; actively seeks to acquire knowledge
concerning the use of new/novel statistical techniques and their biometric/ biopharmaceutical applications.
- Pharmaceutical or related industry
experience with nonclinical, clinical or pharmacology studies, as appropriate, including experience and understanding of drug development in a regulated environment preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled