Scientist / Sr. Scientist, Immunohistochemistry (Job Code: 818-TSS02)
About the Company
Headquartered in San Diego, ACEA Therapeutics, Inc. (spin off of ACEA Biosciences) is a fully-integrated late clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focusing on the development of innovative treatment for cancer and autoimmune diseases. The company’s most advanced program AC0010, a mutation-selective, third-generation EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI), is currently under Phase III clinical development in NSCLC in multiple sites including China and the US.
We are seeking highly skilled and motivated employees who are looking for growth opportunities in a fast paced, startup-like environment. Reports to the Vice President, Drug Discovery, working to discover and develop novel therapies for the treatment of cancer, (s)he will lead the IHC implementation for multiple programs from early discovery through development with a focus on biomarker development for patient stratification and on complex target assessment. This individual will source human and animal samples, implement, manage and supervise scientific, administrative, and technical activities, and develop novel, state of the art multiplex and imaging assays for preclinical and clinical research and development. The Scientist /Senior Scientist is also responsible for identifying and implementing technologies in the field of digital image analysis.
- Lead and implement the development and fit-for-purpose validation of Immunohistochemistry and other tissue-based assays within and with outside CROs.
- Develop and optimize multiplex IHC assays and in situ hybridization assays, and assist on routine performance of such assays once validated.
- Coordinate the collection and analysis of clinical samples within and with outside CROs.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in Immunohistochemistry and other tissue-based assays for research and clinical teams helping to design and evaluate data from exploratory biomarker hypothesis testing and Proof of Concept studies
- Establish and maintain relationships with external collaborators and professional organizations
Required Qualifications and Skills
- PhD or equivalent degree in molecular biology, clinical pathology or related fields and at least 3 years of professional experience working in the translational biology area. Experience in immunology and/or oncology preferred.
- In depth knowledge of immunohistochemistry procedures including: tissue dissection, routine histology, immunohistochemistry (IHC), in-situ hybridization (ISH), and image capture of fresh, frozen and paraffin-embedded tissues and cell lines and be able to step in and train junior associates. Experience with flow cytometry techniques a plus.
- Experience with the design, development and analysis of cellular, protein-based, and/or molecular biomarkers.
- Good understanding of clinical drug development strategies and quality-related requirements in drug development
- Strong written and oral skills and ability to work in fast-paced team-oriented environment
- Demonstrated prior experience managing CRO's preferred.
Physical Demands Analysis
- The employee stands for long periods, walks, bends at neck and waists, twists at neck and waist, uses repetitive hand movement, uses simple and power grasping with both hands, uses fine manipulation of both hands and fingers, and team-lifts and carries objects weighing up to 50 pounds at a height of three feet and carries a distance of up to 30 feet.
- Sits to enter and retrieve data from personal computers and terminals via keyboards, and is often performed while intermittently sitting up to five hours a day.
- Frequently operate office/lab equipment requiring repetitive arm/hand movement and/or the coordinated movement of more than one limb simultaneously.
- Possess specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Exposure to potentially hazardous laboratory chemicals, solvents, microbiological pathogens, odors and fumes.
ACEA offers a professional, collaborative, creative and supportive environment with a competitive compensation package including: health, dental, vision, PTO, short-term disability, 401k plan and much more.
Interested candidates, meeting the qualifications, please email your cover letter, salary requirements, and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org (In the subject line reference: job code 818-TSS02). Due to the volume of responses, only qualified candidates are considered.
For more information on this and other open positions, please visit our website at www.aceabio.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V