Senior Accounting Manager
The Senior Accounting Manager is a critical role within COI. You will be responsible for the general accounting function and managing the accounts payable and payroll function for COI as well as the other companies serviced by COI. This position manages all aspects of the monthly and quarterly close process, assists with quarterly and annual external financial statements, is involved with annual financial audits, and is responsible for tax compliance matters. We are looking for a highly motivated individual who can manage the day-to-day functions of accounting and partner closely with cross-functional teams leading both finance and operation initiatives. You must demonstrate the ability to implement and continually look for ways to improve existing processes. This role will report to the Vice President of Finance.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare journal entries in support of month-end close.
- Perform month-end analysis and reconciliation of General Ledger accounts.
- Reconcile accounts that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Cash concentration accounts (monthly bank statements).
- Prepaid accounts (expenses, maintenance, insurance).
- Investments and related intangible assets.
- Fixed assets.
- Accrued wages, taxes and benefits.
- Accrued expenses (service agreements, clinical trials, purchases, legal).
- Shareholders’ equity.
- Work closely with departments outside of Accounting for proper project accruals.
- Conduct variance analysis, including budget to actual and budget to forecast fluctuations.
- Prepare system-generated financial statements.
- Provide supervision, guidance and direction to other Accounting employees, including the Accounts Payable and Payroll staff.
- Responsible for chart of accounts and projects maintenance.
- Prepare property tax returns, franchise tax returns, sales/use tax returns, and is involved with income tax return preparation.
- Identify and recommend accounting process improvement opportunities.
- Work independently and contribute to the team efforts and objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field.
- CPA Preferred.
- 6-10 years of progressively increased accounting experience, 2-3 of which are with a public company.
- 2-3 years of supervisory/management experience.
- Comprehensive understanding of accounting practices and methods, as well as general ledger account relationships.
- In-depth knowledge of accounting principles, including GAAP.
- Demonstrated ability to work with limited direction and to independently problem-solve complex discrepancies and issues.
- Recent hands-on experience with general ledger accounts, including month-end closing processes.
- Strong computer skills that include Word and Excel.
- Strong organization skills and ability to meet firm deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to perform functions with high level of accuracy, in accordance to company policy and IRS guidelines.
- Effective and professional oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Accounting experience in a pharmaceutical and/or biotech environment.
- Working knowledge and proficiency with an accounting software.
The above description is intended to describe the general nature of the job and may
include other duties as assumed or assigned; it is not intended to be all inclusive or limit
the duties of the position.