Post Doctoral Scientist-Large Molecule Formulation FDE
The Bioproduct Research and Development organization (BRD) strives to deliver creative medicines to patients through the development and commercialization of insulins, monoclonal antibodies, novel therapeutic proteins, and peptides. This organization is a multidisciplinary group that works collaboratively with our discovery and manufacturing colleagues. Located in Indianapolis, scientists have full access to our scientific excellence and engineering capabilities.
The scientist is responsible for designing and conducting research to understand the interactions between proteins (antibodies and other therapeutic proteins), silicone oil, surfactants, other excipients and container/closure systems. The scientist is also responsible for working collaboratively with a wide array of scientists and engineers from many disciplines, leading/supporting relevant research initiatives, bringing new capabilities / technologies and providing internal/external influence.
The responsibilities for this role will include:
- Design and perform studies to characterize molecular properties of monoclonal antibodies, proteins and peptides
- Computational modeling using commercially available software to characterize molecular properties of monoclonal antibodies, proteins and peptides
- Design and perform biophysical studies to explore the interactions between proteins/silicone oil, proteins/surfactants and surfactants/silicone oil
- Design and executing experiments exploring the impact of other excipients on protein formulation stability
- Collaborate with packaging group to explore the stability of selected formulations within various types of container/closure systems, and the impact of formulations on device/syringe functionality
- Keep abreast of relevant new technologies / capabilities
- Authoring of technical reports and regulatory documents
- Presenting research results internally and externally
For over 140 years, Lilly has been dedicated to meeting the health care needs of people in the United States and around the world. We address these needs primarily by developing innovative medicines—investing a higher percentage of our sales in research and development than any other major pharmaceutical company.
Due to a strategic commitment to the growth of biotherapeutics within the Lilly portfolio, opportunities are currently available within the Bioproduct Research and Development organization. This group is a multidisciplinary organization, focused on the development and commercialization of monoclonal antibodies, novel therapeutic proteins and peptides. These efforts are maximized through the collaborative activities of scientists at our Indianapolis sites with partners in discovery and manufacturing, taking full advantage of our scientific excellence and engineering capabilities in drug substance, analytical and drug product / device development, coupled with the integrated operational strategy of the biotherapeutic discovery, development and manufacturing organizations. If you are interested in being considered for employment with a “Best in Class” Pharmaceutical company, please review the following opportunity.
- PhD in Pharmaceutics or Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biochemistry, Biophysical Characterization, Chemical Engineering or related field with research focus on formulation related issues with monoclonal antibodies, proteins, peptides, or injectables
Lilly credits its exceptional employees for its successes, and knows the key to ongoing achievement lies in attracting and retaining the best people. A company rich in heritage, Lilly employs individuals, conducts research and markets products worldwide. By providing for the unmet needs of our customers through a continuous stream of innovation, we will outgrow all competitors.
Lilly earns consistent and wide recognition for creating an exceptional work environment:
- Business Week magazine 50 Best Places To Launch A Career™
- FORTUNE America’s Most Admired Companies™
- FORTUNE 50 Best Companies for Minorities™
- Working Mother 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers™
- Industry Week magazine 100 Best-Managed Companies™
- Business Ethics magazine 100 Best Corporate Citizens™
- Science magazine Best Companies for Scientists™
This position is not permanent. It is for a fixed duration of two years with potential to extend annually for up to 4 years.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status
- Experience/ knowledge of studying interactions between proteins, silicone oil and surfactants
- Strong knowledge on protein colloidal stability
- Basic understanding of proteins, degradation pathways, and general approaches for stabilization
- Able to independently contribute from the bench (design and execute studies to develop a formulation)
- Must be able to work productively in an interdisciplinary team environment
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of biophysical techniques which are used to assess protein conformation (including secondary, tertiary, quaternary structure) and ability to apply these techniques for characterization and problem-solving during protein process and formulations development
- In depth understanding of protein chemistry, structure and conformation, as relates to chemical and physical stability.
- Proficient in HPLC method development
- Experience in protein subvisible particle characterization, or RMM is a plus
- Experience in surface tension measurements
- Basic understanding of NMR, Raman and FTIR
- Experience/ knowledge of parenteral formulations development for clinical and commercial use (including lyophilized and solutions formulations).
- Demonstrated technical / scientific leadership skills; applied to problem-solving