Director of Facilities
The ShangPharma Innovation Incubator is located in the core of South San Francisco’s vibrant life science market, providing emerging companies with state-of-the-art laboratory space, equipment, and access to the expertise and services of our resident preferred vendor, ChemPartner, a leading contract research organization.
Our unique space fosters collaboration and innovation, helping early-stage companies achieve the scientific and business milestones that enable the next step of growth. Co-housed with the ShangPharma Innovation venture capital team, resident companies have the opportunity to be part of an ecosystem that was deliberately designed to bring new therapeutic breakthroughs to light.
More information about us can be found at www.spiivc.com
We seek to recruit a director of facilities who will be responsible for the following:
Manages the design, planning, construction for any new space and the maintenance of ShangPharma Innovation Inc’s current incubator facility labs, offices, and infrastructure. Plans, budgets, and schedules facility modifications, including estimates on equipment, labor, materials and other related costs. Designs and develops organizational policies relevant to the facilities department. Oversees the coordination of building space allocation and layout, and facilities expansion. Oversees Environmental Health & Safety. Also responsible for ensuring full utilization and occupancy of the incubator facility through marketing and outreach to attract potential tenants. Provides facilities support to such tenants. Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Working closely with ShangPharma Innovation management and liaising with existing support functional staff:
- Manages the design, planning and maintenance of labs, offices, equipment, machinery, buildings and other facilities within the company
- Plans, budgets and schedules facility modifications including estimates on equipment, labor, materials and other related costs
- Oversees coordination of building space allocation and layout and facilities expansion
- Communicates company facilities business needs and plans and negotiates contracts with outside parties including construction engineers, engineering consultants, architects, project managers and building owners
- Manages laboratory operations including upkeep and proper maintenance of all laboratory equipment, by working closely with vendors and appropriate scientific personnel and junior facilities staff
- Manages and maintains general building functions, including HVAC
- Manages general facility services (shipping & receiving, security, janitorial and food services)
- Maintains local and state government documentation requirements relating to facilities and operations
- Oversees facility fire prevention and security procedures, processes and equipment
- Oversees company requirements and execution of lab operations and facilities staff
- Oversees Environmental Health & Safety programs, including chemical hygiene program and hazardous material handling
- Complies with all company health & safety policies and procedures and ensure appropriate compliance from incubator tenants
- Secures tenants for facility
One or more lab assistant/facilities coordinator(s) report to this position
- MS/MA degree in related discipline and 12 years of related experience; or,
- BS/BA degree in related discipline and 15 years of related experience; or,
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- May require certification in assigned area.
- Typically requires a minimum of 12 years of related experience or the equivalent combination of experience and education/training
- Experience in Biotech/Pharmaceutical industry preferred
- Prior success in maintaining 32,000 plus sq feet lab facility, including remodeling, moving and expansions
- Prior success in obtaining and supporting life science tenants
- Demonstrated strong collaboration skills working with both internal and external organizations
- Demonstrated ability to deliver facility related projects within specified timelines and budget
- Demonstrated capacity to skillfully communicate with all levels of employees as well as outside vendors and contractors
- Must have experiences in lab and office build out construction projects
- Must be results oriented with strong track record of success in delivering quality work space to employees
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Must be able to handle emergency and/or deadline critical situations
- Must have the flexibility to be on call out of hours to handle facilities related emergencies
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting Job Reference SP18001 in the subject line of your email.