Director, G&A Portfolio Management
Known for its scientific and operational excellence, Regeneron is a leading science-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, invents, develops, manufactures, and commercializes medicines for the treatment of serious medical conditions. Regeneron commercializes medicines for eye diseases, high LDL-cholesterol, atopic dermatitis and a rare inflammatory condition and has product candidates in development in other areas of high unmet medical need, including rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, pain, cancer and infectious diseases.
The Portfolio Manager is a newly defined role within the IT Planning and Compliance organization, which resides within Information Technology and reports directly to the Executive Director of IT Planning and Compliance. The goal in expanding the Project organization to include Portfolio Managers is to introduce more structure, rigor and transparency to the management of the IT portfolios of its Business Units (BU) to enable greater scalability and drive innovation more efficiently and effectively. Foundational corporate PMO standards and processes are in place that are expected to be actively refined collaboratively among PMO management and the Portfolio Managers of the BUs over time, as appropriate.
This Portfolio Manager role will be aligned and co-located with the General and Administrative (G&A) business units, with dotted line matrixed reporting to the IT Leader of G&A IT, and work closely with that IT Leader's Business Relationship Manager (BRM) and business clients. The Portfolio Manager will be responsible for providing management oversight and dependency coordination for all key strategic IT initiatives within G&A, driving the G&A portfolio's key program and project execution against business objectives and priorities.
The Portfolio Manager should expect to be heavily involved in monitoring status, anticipating challenges, unblocking issues and providing stakeholder transparency for programs and projects within G&A's IT portfolio.
• Ensure that team members deliver quality work on time and on budget, achieving the business objectives and delivering the value proposition for each project and program within the R&D portfolio
• Ensure the quality and on time delivery of PMO artifacts related to G&A programs and projects, as well as timely execution of SDLC gate check processes
• Manage budgeting, forecasting and re-forecasting for projects and programs within the G&A portfolio
• Oversee resource planning, balancing and adjustments across projects and programs within the G&A portfolio
• Provide status, anticipate challenges, manage dependencies, issues and risks across projects and programs within the G&A portfolio
• Unblock or escalate issues to the Executive Director and/or the IT Leader of the G&A, as appropriate
• Work with the BRM to provide client and stakeholder transparency and valuable portfolio reporting
• Elicit goals, objectives and priorities from the BRM and business clients in an environment where objectives and priorities may change swiftly. The ability to act as the business's direct and trusted advisor in such cases is essential. For example, the Portfolio Manager will be charged with assessing the value of proposed scope changes for a project quickly and accurately in the context of available (or flexible) resources and working with the BRM and the business clients to determine the impact of scope changes on one project across the portfolio.
• Work closely with PMO Operations to identify and promote best practices and continuous improvement in PMO processes, systems, tools and reports
• Actively manage and mentor 3 - 10 Project and/or Program Managers who will be direct reports to the Portfolio Manager, reside within the PMO organization and be aligned to serve G&A groups. Delivery of a clearly articulated vision, as well as training and mentoring of these Project Managers will be critical aspects of facilitating the desired adjustment to a more structured PMO and mature governance process.
• Direct and coordinate activities of project management personnel serving G&A to ensure projects and programs progress on schedule, within budget and deliver the expected value proposition
• Resolve conflicts in assigned duties, responsibilities, and scope of authority impacting project management personnel
• Ensure program and project level "lessons learned" activities are conducted with a focus on continuous service improvements within the PMO, IT organization, and supporting service areas
Knowledge and Experience
• Subject Matter Expertise in Project Management Office, SDLC and governance best practices
• A track record of high quality, successful, large-scale, complex, on time and on budget delivery of major programs and projects that comprise a portfolio
• Experience managing a large, diverse portfolio across multiple functions including an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning)
• C-suite level presence and drive
• Passion for articulating vision, championing and managing change, as well as achieving high quality results
• The demonstrated ability to effectively organize and motivate diverse teams to achieve goals and implement vision
• Experience commanding status meetings and effectively holding team members accountable for status, deliverables and timely escalation of blockers
• Swiftly and directly address issues of underperformance
• Experience mentoring and training 5-10 Project Manager subordinates
• A history of successfully managing vendors and vendor-implemented packaged software
• Exemplify a highly collaborative mindset
• Actively anticipate, track and plan for risks and issues, dependencies, resourcing and contingencies
• Function as a trusted advisor to the G&A IT Leader, Business Relationship Manager, clients and stakeholders
• Build strong relationships and gain trust
• Understand requirements, values and goals
• Effectively facilitate portfolio prioritization according to values and goals
• Communicate status, risks and issues with the Business Relationship Manager, clients and stakeholders, as well as PMO Management and peers in a direct and timely manner
• Escalate issues in a manner that is effective and direct, and in the best interests of the firm
• Work with PMO Management and peers to drive innovation and best practices within the PMO, optimizing processes, systems and reporting
• Demonstrate an analytical, objective, and strategic mindset
• Possess an in-depth understanding of previous technology solutions implemented; and bring that passion for technology to this role as well
• Experience practicing a range of project prioritization and backlog grooming methods
• Familiarity with commercial Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) tools and reports
• Expertise with MS Project
• Familiarity with the principles of finance and cost benefit analysis (e.g., capitalized and expensed costs, opportunity costs, soft and hard dollar benefits, payback, ROI, ROE, NPV, etc.)
• Pharmaceutical or biotech experience
• Advanced degree (MBA, Masters in Operations Research or similar discipline)
• PMP or Prince2 certification
• Experience with transition from growth to mature-stage companies
• Experience with the Planview PPM tool and reports
• A history of successfully in-house development projects and programs
Minimum Years of Required Experience:
• 15+ years of progressive experience in IT project, program and portfolio management
• 5+ years managing diverse portfolios of major programs or projects including ERP
• 10+ years resource management experience
• 10+ years experience working with and managing vendors and partners
• 10+ years project budget management
This is an opportunity to join our select team that is already leading the way in the Pharmaceutical/Biotech industry. Apply today and learn more about Regeneron's unwavering commitment to combining good science & good business.
To all agencies: Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of Regeneron about this opening. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee at Regeneron via-email, the internet or in any form and/or method will be deemed the sole property of Regeneron, unless such search firms/employment agencies were engaged by Regeneron for this position and a valid agreement with Regeneron is in place. In the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the Regeneron agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind will be paid.
Regeneron is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.