Translational Team Leader
We are seeking a candidate to manage and lead a team of TMTLs that oversees the development and execution of the translational plans for several assets including Nektar, clinical collaborations and H&N/GBM/emerging tumors. We are seeking a candidate who brings deep scientific experience, in depth knowledge of disease area, a clinical development perspective, and matrix management expertise to the role. This role will report to the Head of Precision Medicine.
- Manages a team of TMTLs
- Responsible for strategic oversight of translational planning and communication with key stakeholders and senior management
- Facilitates necessary governance reviews for strategy endorsement.
- Ensures TMTLs manage input of all TM functions (including Biomarkers, PDx, Integrated Sciences, Program & Sample Management, Technologies, and Bioinformatics) in establishing the TM asset strategy
- Responsible for developing and implementing TM aspects of clinical development plans.
- Partners with clinical, biostatistics, and other development team members to develop and implement scientific strategies for biomarker and diagnostic development.
- Partners with Medical Affairs and Commercial to develop Medical and Communication strategies.
- Participates in strategic overview of presentations and publications along with Head Translational Medicine, Integrated Sciences, Pharmacodiagnostics (PDx)/Biomarkers.
- Manages and integrates biomarker issues for resolution among a broad matrixed team; Integrated Sciences, Clinical Leads, Pharmacodiagnostics (PDx), Discovery, Translational biology or TS platform experts
- Accountable to ensure well-crafted and focused biomarker hypothesis, experimental design, and execution and delivery of biomarker data
- Provides leadership to prioritize biomarkers for pull through to Pharmacodiagnostics (PDx), and seamless efficient transition to PDx development and commercialization
- Accountable for ensuring appropriate and focused resourcing requests are made with appropriate discipline
- Provides the scientific input and review into the biomarker section of protocols and interfaces with TM Leadership Team and other key stakeholders to ensure aligned approach.
- Ensures that TM team is focused on key issues and that individual asset strategies and plans are integrated with broader TM strategy (across assigned EADT/DTs)
- According to scientific strengths, contributes to due diligence efforts relating to technologies, asset acquisition/licensing etc.
- MD or PhD, or equivalent advanced biology degree
- Experienced scientist with 12+ years' experience in the drug discovery and development process.
- Documented experience in oncology drug development (small molecule and biologic / immuno-oncology) in one or more major disease areas (e.g. melanoma, lung cancer, hematologic cancers, lymphoma, etc.)
- Deep understanding of the role of translational research/medicine and clinical biomarkers in drug development. Pharmocodiagnostics experience highly desired but not required.
- The successful candidate will be a highly motivated, confident, and collaborative scientist with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and show the ability to prioritize.
- Demonstrated ability of working effectively to influence stakeholders in a highly dynamic matrix organization such as BMS.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment where speed is paramount
- Willing to work as a topic expert, outside of a traditional functional environment, in a team unified around serving the assets
- Ability to recognize, articulate, and accept calculated risks to make informed decisions
- Demonstrated experience in the appropriate application of various scientific technologies into translational research strategies
- Working knowledge of all functional areas of drug development, including, biology, toxicology, clinical development, diagnostic development, etc.
- Demonstrated scientific acumen and mechanistic understanding of disease biology.
- Proven leadership experience and success with leading teams. Act as an inclusive leader.
- Operates with independence, and possesses the confidence and fortitude to take principled positions.
- Ability to work effectively in a matrix environment that includes interactions with multiple stakeholder groups; particularly demonstrated ability to work across the critical interfaces whether within RD or across the enterprise.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills along with the ability to influence, high level negotiation skills and the ability to resolve disagreements in a constructive manner.