Zymeworks is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of next-generation bispecific and multifunctional biotherapeutics. Zymeworks’ suite of complementary therapeutic platforms and its fully-integrated drug development engine provide the flexibility and compatibility to precisely engineer and develop highly-differentiated product candidates.
Zymeworks is seeking a highly-motivated professional who is looking to grow their career with our company.
About the Position
We are seeking an experienced professional to join Zymeworks’ Finance department as Director, Tax. The successful candidate will be responsible for working with the leadership team to develop and implement tax strategies and compliance activities globally. Additionally, the candidate will oversee the tax related policies and procedures for the Tax function in meeting regulatory requirements and managing the day to day tax activities of Zymeworks. Responsibilities include worldwide tax planning, reporting, audits and compliance.
This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer and will be based in Vancouver, BC.
- Works with senior management to develop and implement tax programs, strategies and processes.
- Leads compliance activities globally through effective working relationships within Finance, across the organization, and with external service providers.
- Manages tax accounting and reporting, including reviewing the worldwide tax provision, valuation allowance, and deferred tax account reconciliations.
- Oversees and coordinates the process for and preparation of the organization’s Canadian Scientific Research and Development program returns including timely filing and follow-up.
- Develops and monitors transfer-pricing policies and agreements, ensuring proper documentation to meet compliance requirements.
- Leads and ensures the compliance of all global statutory tax requirements, including overseeing the preparation and/or reviewing all local and foreign tax returns.
- Oversees and reviews sales and local tax reporting, including PST/GST/HST, VAT and other non-income tax issues.
- Leads activities associated with the annual assessment of Passive Foreign Investment Corporation determinations and assists Investor Relations and Finance with external communication.
- Assists in the preparation of additional disclosures for quarterly and annual financial reporting, as well as coordinating with external advisors and internal legal resources on registration statements as required.
- Responsible for the tax evaluation and reporting of exposures and risk management across the organization, including the ability to identify and implement highly efficient solutions.
- Institutes and continuously improves operating procedures ensuring “best practices”.
- Continually monitors, tracks and reports out on the existing and proposed tax legislations and related changes that could impact our operations.
- Ensures compliance with internal controls (including SOX), policies and procedures.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in the Tax function or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Professional designation of CPA (CA, CMA or CGA) and minimum Level II of the In-Depth Tax Course.
- Biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience is an asset.
- Significant knowledge and demonstrated experience in Canadian taxation, with strong competencies in U.S. and global issues pertaining to Canadian domiciled parent companies and foreign subsidiaries
- Proven experience building strong relationships with senior management, external providers, business partners etc. Ability to work across reporting lines and across geographies to advance strategic direction of the business.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage concurrent deliverables and work effectively in a challenging, milestone-driven environment
- Able to think and act strategically, anticipate road-blocks and map out next steps
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral); communicates in a clear, concise and organized manner; listens to others to obtain information.
- Demonstrated high level of integrity and ethics
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of U.S. GAAP accounting for income taxes.
- Proven track record of managing global service providers to ensure work is completed on time, with quality and on budget.
- Experience with M&A due diligence, integration and structuring transactions.
- Experience working with an ERP system and hands-on experience with accounting software packages.
- Structured, disciplined and organized; a critical thinker with demonstrated process improvement skills; proven analytical / quantitative skills are required.
- Experience working in a high volume and fast paced environment with overlapping priorities and deliverables. This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment.
Additional assets to be considered
- Experience with business intelligence software such as Tableau.
- Experience with evaluation of structuring considerations related to partnering and in/out-licensing as related to the pharmaceutical sector.
- Familiarity with multijurisdictional tax structures, including the impact on intellectual property and global supply chain matters.
Why Work for Us?
Zymeworks’ employees are passionate, engaged and extremely motivated to succeed. We are excited by the cutting-edge science and technology, the endless possibilities this union holds and the sheer opportunity to be a part of something big. To learn more about Zymeworks Inc. and our current openings, please visit our website at www.zymeworks.com.
We offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this challenging opportunity, please apply online at https://zymeworks.bamboohr.co.uk/jobs/view.php?id=110. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.